Reach out, try something new while away

Cindy Huff, Columnist

Well, here we are again, all of us ready and eager to start the fall semester. We have had our glorious summer vacations filled with fun, sleep- ing in and doing things on our own time.

Now we have to get back to reality and back to a more structured lifestyle, which means get- ting out of bed a lot earlier to (for most of us) get to our classes.

Students may feel a little overwhelmed because suddenly, after the long slow days of summer, everything will once again become fast- paced.

Personally, toward the end of summer break, I get a bit bored and start thinking about return- ing to classes, learning new things, getting involved in school activities and seeing all my friends that I have missed so much over sum- mer break.

Returning to school means something different for each of us. Maybe this will be your last semester and graduation is finally on the hori- zon, or perhaps this will be your first time away from home as you begin your college education and you are scared stiff.

Whatever this semester will bring for you, please try to remember that sometimes you might feel anxious or stressed about returning to school; that a normal symptom of the “Sum- mer’s Over Blues.”

If you are feeling stressed about getting back into the school routine, take your time and pace yourself. Ease back into it slowly, eat well and exercise.

Take some time each day to think about yourself, and just breath. Remember that you are not alone; we all get anxious about returning to classes after a long summer break.

A good way to stay motivated for the new semester might be to think about the goals that you have set for yourself and what you are likely to achieve this semester.

Another way to relieve some first day anxiety is by getting involved in school activities where you will make friends and meet new people. You might want to try a debate team, a volunteer activity, student council or a Greek organization.

Once you are settled into college and feel more comfortable exploring your school’s social scene, you might find out how much fun it can be to get more involved. Do not be afraid to break the ice.

Introduce yourself to other classmates and get to know them. Chances are they are just as nervous as you are and are waiting for someone just like you to reach out to them.

Having something to look forward to when returning to classes always helps with transitioning after summer break. It is exciting to think about new ideas, new friends and new adventures.

And finally, please remember that your instructors may feel as stressed as you do for the first few weeks of the semester.

They have to adjust to new schedules, new learning materials and the preparation that goes into facing all of our shiny little faces, with all of our problems and questions we will surely have.

So take it easy on them as well; they are human and have the same apprehensions that we have about the new semester.

Welcome back, and best of luck to us all this semester.

Cindy Huff is an aging studies graduate student. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].