Students gain greek information at fair

Molly Dotson

Jillian Colletti, a junior therapeutic recreation major, shows photos of her sisters from throughout the year and explains what Kappa Deltas do to Callie Acree, a junior biological sciences major, during the sorority fraternity interest fair Wednesday. Acree said she was going from table to table to get a feel for each sorority. She also said she has known she wanted to be involved in greek life for a while.

Janet Pernell, Multicultural Reporter

Nineteen Greek organizations gathered for a night to educate students about their fraternity or sorority life.

The third annual Fraternity and Sorority Interest Fair took place Wednesday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Music was playing to set the mood and attendees were able to meet with every organization if they wanted to.

Each of the tables had decorations that coordinated with each organization’s colors. Tables were also decorated with information about the organization.

The purpose of the fair was to educate students that have questions about going Greek. Students were able to stop at a fraternity or sorority’s table for questions about each organization.

Since each fraternity and sorority is different, some had different informational presentations for their organizations.

During the fair, many of the members from each organization gave advice to students that were interested in going Greek and shared some personal experiences about what life is like for them in their organization.

Kena Bocek, a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha, said before joining an organization students should make sure to understand where they are going and hope that it is a good experience.

“I would say just trust your gut,” Bocek said. “Kind of just go for it and hope for the best because you never know what can happen.”

Chris Rego, a member of Delta Chi, said going Greek is something he had never seen himself doing until he became a member.

Rego recommends people who are interested not be scared to ask for help, and do research to check out more than one organization.

“I didn’t think I’d ever join Greek life, and I never thought I would fit into Greek Life,” Rego said. “Always educate yourself. If you’re not sure, ask. Don’t limit yourself to one fraternity and sorority.”

Shannon Thodos, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, said joining her sorority was a great experience. If she did not join Alpha Gamma Delta, she would not know how her college experience would be.

“It was the best thing I’ve ever done. If I wasn’t in Alpha Gam, I don’t know what I would’ve done in college. I probably would’ve transferred,” Thodos said. “(Alpha Gamma Delta) is what kept me at Eastern. This is what kept me with these girls. They’re my best friends.”

Hayley Hess, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, said students should follow the recruiting process.

“I would just tell them to go into this process with an open mind, and I think that you will come out of it finding a home,” Hess said. “Just go with your heart, and you will find the best home for yourself and sisters that will last you a lifetime.”

Isis Sims, a member of Delta Sigma Theta, advises students to do their research to make sure they end up in the right home.

“For individuals that are seeking to go Greek, I would say definitely do your research, definitely make sure wherever you find a home that it is something that you really want to do,” Sims said. “Make sure that you really understand the commitment that you put in when you join.”

Justin Earls, president of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, said students should do research on an organization they have an interest in.

Earls said when students pick an organization it should not be based on the social life or colors.

“If you see an organization that you have interest in, make sure you do you research on them,” Earls said. “Don’t just go for the parties or social life or colors. Make sure you just go online and find out a lot of research and don’t just research one, research every single one.”

Janet can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]