Sorority hosts speed-dating event for Delta Week

Datasia Lenton, Staff Reporter

In effort to bring awareness to the importance of one’s self worth and value, the Theta Zeta chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority will be hosting a speed-dating event titled “Why do fools fall in love.”

The event will take place at 6:13 p.m. Wednesday in the common area of Greek Court.

With this week being titled “Delta Cinema,” Delta Sigma Theta will host an array of events named after different movie titles.

“Why do fools fall in love” will be the second event held in honor of Delta Week, a form of speed dating with a twist.

Paulette Horton, the financial secretary of Delta Sigma Theta and chair of Delta Week, said the speed-dating event hosted by the organization last year focused on the do’s and don’ts of dating and tips on maintaining healthy relationships and friendships.

“This time around, instead of talking about relationships, I kind of wanted to go into depth about self-concepts,” Horton said. “Like self-love, self-awareness and self-worth.”

It was tricky for the organization to arrange Delta Week in a way that would bring the campus out to support, Horton said.

“The concepts that we had were really on a serious tip,” Horton said. “We were thinking of ways that we could address the campus where everyone would to come and it not seem like a class or lecture.”

Kathryn McIntosh, the chapter president of Delta Sigma Theta, said Delta Week is a week of collective events produced by the organization geared toward getting the campus to come out and support.

Last year, the organization gave different scenarios centered on health at their speed-dating event, McIntosh said.

“This year we’re focusing on health, self-development, and excellence; so we’re trying to gear it (the events) towards that,” McIntosh said. “Speed dating is something that we know people are going to come to, but we want to mix is so that they get a learning lesson out of it.”

The atmosphere of the speed-dating event will be interactive, intellectual, but most importantly, it will be an event of awareness, Horton said.

“We just want them to look at us as individuals and be open minded because we’re still trying to teach the campus something at the end of the day,” Horton said.

With Delta Week still continuing on, students on campus can continue to support the organization through the rest of their events.

“I want everyone to have a better awareness of their surroundings. A better awareness of themselves and who they choose to hang out with,” Horton said. “I want them to focus on their purpose in life.”

“Do the right thing,” a community service event with Teen Reach, will take place at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday.

Datasia Lenton can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]