Academy to teach vegetarian recipes

Abbey Whittington, Entertainment Editor

The Academy of Lifelong Learning will be hosting “New Vegetarian Foods-Tasting and Recipe Swap,” from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday at the First Baptist Church.

The purpose of the Academy’s recipe swap is for participants to learn more about being a vegetarian and how to get enough protein.

Marita Metzke, project coordinator of the Academy of Lifelong Learning, said participants do not have to be vegetarian or vegan to attend or enjoy the meatless recipes.

“The vegetarian recipes are good alternatives to meals with meat in them,” Metzke said.

The dishes that will be prepared on Thursday afternoon will be easy to make and high in protein, Metzke said, and participants will be walked through how they can make the recipes.

Metzke said the academy is always interested in health and well being, so the recipe swap will promote healthy choices in eating and selecting food.

“(The vegetarian recipes) are non-animal, so it is good for the environment and hearts and brains,” Metzke said.

Audrey Edwards, who was previously an Eastern secondary education and foundations professor, offered the course to the Academy and will be giving the presentation on vegetarian recipes on Thursday.

Metzke said the participants will not be cooking but the dishes would be prepared in the kitchen of the First Baptist Church in advance by Edwards, who will explain the reasoning behind being a vegetarian.

Metzke said the Academy was able to have the presentation at the church because an advisory council member of the Academy is also a member of the First Baptist Church.

Participants will be able to try the recipes Edwards has prepared and if they enjoy them, the recipes can be taken home with the attendees.

“(Edwards) will discuss some of the reasons people choose to be vegetarian and the benefits of being one,” Metzke said. “She will also be providing information about getting enough protein.”

Metzke said participants are also welcome to bring their own vegetarian recipes in addition to Edwards’ recipes to share and swap with other participants.

To attend the presentation on vegetarian recipes members can call the Academy of Lifelong Learing at 581-5114 or email them at [email protected]. The attendance fee for members is $9, and for non-members the fee is $13.

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].