Taste of Asia to kick off Asian Heritage Month

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

For the past 10 years, the Asian Heritage Month committee has brought events to Eastern’s campus as a way to honor the Asian culture.

This month kicks off with the “A Taste of Asia” reception noon Tuesday, in the Doudna Fine Arts Center Concourse.

With a month chock-full of events, Krishna Thomas, the chair of Asian Heritage Month said the month is a one that will keep the campus culturally aware.

The two restaurants that will serve at the reception with be T. Garden Thai and the Q Q Buffet. Thomas said over last few years the month has morphed into a celebration of diversity on campus.

May is the nationally recognized month for Asian Heritage, but Thomas said that because classes are out of session in May, they pushed the month up to April.

Thomas said about 1 percent of students on campus are Asian American and the month is another way to get the students engaged and connected.

“It is important for our campus to know. I don’t want it to seem like cultural tourism,” Thomas said. “People need to understand what goes on in different cultures and different countries.”
Asian studies and the Asian American Association began around the same time and the heritage month soon followed, Thomas said.

Ana Nededog, a senior communication studies major, was the former president of the Asian American Association and said she sees the month as a way for people from different backgrounds to gather and experience the cultures of Asia.

“The goal of these events is to showcase different cultures to EIU students and faculty, ones they are not accustomed to,” Nededog said. “They are given an opportunity to learn about the different cultures outside of their own.”

Nededog said events like “A Taste of Asia” gives the campus a chance to partake in the different cuisines from Asia. She said it takes people out of their comfort zones and engrosses them into a new culture.

A lot of food will be incorporated throughout the month.

“I don’t know if we were hungry when we were planning it, but it definitely will share the culture with the campus,” Thomas said.

During the reception a professor will be playing the piano and a student will be playing the Chinese Bamboo flute.

Thomas said exploring other cultures opens up a door for learning and acceptance.

“It’s all to keep us visible,” Thomas said.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]