World Percussion Group to perform in Dvorak Concert Hall

Abbey Whittington, Entertainment Editor

The World Percussion Group will be coming to Eastern as a part of their two-month 2016 USA tour 7:30 p.m. Monday in the Dvorak Concert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The percussion group will be at Eastern for two days; the first being for members of the World Percussion Group to perform with the EIU Percussion Ensemble Sunday, and the second is for the group’s performance on Monday. Both performances will be held in the Dvorak Concert Hall.

Monday’s performance will also feature local percussionists in the World Percussion Group’s show.

The World Percussion Group consists of percussionists from various countries, including Taiwan, China, the United Kingdom, the United States and Spain.

“The World Percussion Group has been delivering clinics, lessons and master classes to Universities including the EIU Percussion Ensemble across the U.S.,” according to a press release.

Eastern’s Percussion Ensemble is directed by Jamie Ryan, a percussion professor, and consists of a group of about 12 students.

According to the group’s official website, Maraca2 is a percussion duo made up of members Tim Palmer and Jason Huxtable, who directs the World Percussion Group.

Both men met while studying at Birmingham Conservatoire in England, where the both of them now tutor percussion students.

Maraca2 has regularly performed in many festivals, concert halls and over 40 universities worldwide, and came up with the idea for the World Percussion Group in 2014. Members are chosen through auditions from hundreds of applicants worldwide with a mission to represent the best young percussion players.

Members chosen to be a part of the World Percussion Group are expected to have their own presentations, clinics, lessons, performances, master classes and put together a touring ensemble for when the music group presents their work to the USA educational market.

The World Percussion Group’s mission statement states they want their group to not just inspire audiences and students, but to give an international platform to the best percussionists of the next generation, providing an opportunity for cultural sharing.

This music group also serves as the next chapter in the evolution of the Maraca2 duo.

Ticket prices are $15 for general admission, $12 for seniors and employees and $7 for students.

Abbey Whittington can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected] 

The World Percussion Group will be visiting Eastern as a part of their two-month world tour 7:30p.m Monday in the Dvorak Concert Hall.