Rhythm & X-Tacy dance team, LASO sell corn, raise funds

Analicia Haynes, Administration Editor

The Rhythm & X-Tacy dance team and the Latin American Student Organization will be selling “elote,” or cups stuffed with corn, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday in front of Coleman Hall.

Rhythm & X-Tacy is sponsoring the event.

Lorie Saint Cyr, the team’s president, said it was their idea to sell Mexican corn.

“We wanted to do a fundraiser that no one did before,” Saint Cyr said. “We wanted to actually bring something on campus that people would purchase.”

Saint Cyr said they would like to raise more than $200, which will give the team a chance to have the funds for costumes and shows.

“It’s an excellent way to raise funds because most people love Mexican corn and would purchase it,” Saint Cyr said. “It’s also a way that we can get out there and promote our organization.”

Saint Cyr said the team would also like to meet new people, get diverse individuals to try out and get other organizations to collaborate with the team for future events.

Gladys Valentin, the president of LASO, said her organization is co-sponsoring the corn sale.

Saint Cyr said they partnered with LASO because they wanted to be diverse and meet new people from different organizations.

Valentin said both organizations will work together and LASO will use the funds from the corn in a cup fundraiser and the walking taco fundraiser for their annual Fiesta Latina on April 16.

Fiesta Latina is an annual affair presented by LASO and helps spread awareness about Latino culture in the Eastern and Charleston communities.

“Not many people are familiar with Latino snacks,” Valentin said. “This is a way to catch people’s eyes and raise funds like we did with the walking taco event.”

Valentin said the walking taco fundraiser, already in its second run this school year, was a great success and hopes the same will happen for the corn in a cup fundraiser.

The corn will be prepared in a traditional Latino style with corn kernels mixed with mayonnaise, cheese and spicy chili powder.

Valentin said she prefers to eat corn on the cob with all the fixings, including lime.

“It’s a little messier but that’s what makes it fun,” Valentin said.

Saint Cyr said she is excited about the fundraiser because her dance team has not done one since last year.

“We have a new team with new members so it will give them a chance to get to know Eastern’s campus and network with others,” Saint Cyr said. “I hope a lot of people will come out and support our event and have a nice time with my dance team on a marvelous Thursday.”

Ivan Soria, a LASO member, said the fundraiser is a good idea because it not only raises money that will benefit both organizations, it also raises cultural awareness.

Students, faculty, staff or residents can purchase corn in a cup for $2 and other refreshments for $1.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]