GLAM to take audience on trip down memory lane

Datasia Lenton, Staff Reporter

A show created by Glamorize Ladies and Men Modeling plans to take their audience on a trip down memory lane with a combination of past shows.

GLAM will be hosting their annual spring fashion show, “Replay.” The event will be at 7 p.m. Friday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union and admission will be free.

GLAM’s mission statement states that the organization strives to create a positive atmosphere for students on Eastern’s campus to meet other individuals with similar interests in fashion. The organization also prides itself on accepting models on a more diverse scale.

Janai Cooks, president of GLAM, said “Replay” would be a recap of the most iconic scenes from the past five years that the organization has been producing shows.

“In my mind, I want each audience member to have a remote and they click play from the beginning, from 2012 all the way to 2016,” Cooks said. “They’ll get that energy level, that GLAM craze when we take the runway.”

Cooks said planning for the show has been taking place since the fall semester.

Since the organization produces both a fall and spring show, she said it was very important that they were planned at the same time.

Cooks said they did not start getting models and having tryouts until the end of the fall semester.

“It basically took us two months,” Cooks said.

The diverse caliber of GLAM is one that sets the organization apart from others, Cooks said. Rather than looks, the organization focuses more on the empowerment and self-confidence of its members through modeling.

Cooks wants the show to showcase GLAM’s overall creativity and provide a true eye-opener for the crowd.

“I want people to see that fashion and theatrics can collide in such a dynamic way that you are left speechless,” Cooks said.

With Cooks being a senior at Eastern, she said she hopes her models will carry on the spirit of GLAM even after she leaves.

“They’re the next generation of GLAM. I’m putting in all that I can before I leave,” Cooks said. “I don’t want the spirit of GLAM to die.”

Emily Henderson, a model in GLAM, joined the organization in order to be a part of something that was like a family.

“It’s like a team, no one ever gets left behind when it comes to modeling with GLAM,” Henderson said.

Erika Kosick, another model in GLAM, said she thinks “Replay” would show the uniqueness and creativity of the organization as a whole and there is also power in working as a team.

“You can put on something really amazing if you just work together,” Kosick said.

“Replay” will be different from a typical fashion show. For this show, the entire floor will be used, including the audience’s area as the runway and 15 models will be in the show. GLAM wants the audience to interact with the models and really connect with the production that is being put on.

“You’re watching the model with clothes come down the runway,” Cooks said. “The clothes aren’t wearing them, they are wearing the clothes. Their personalities show through the outfit.”

GLAM is particularly excited about the burlesque scene that will take place during the show. The organization is also excited about how the audience will take to the show.

“Since a lot of people haven’t heard (about) GLAM throughout this entire month of school, it’s like, don’t forget about us because we’re still here,” Cooks said.

Datasia Lenton can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]