Students train, compete for fitness title

File Photo

Kody Waggoner, a competitor in the middle weight division, accepts the trophy for his weight class, Mar. 1, 2014 in the McAffee Gym. The judges shortly revoked his title, after a miscount of votes determined Waggoner the winner of his division. The revoking of his title prevented Waggoner from moving on in the competition and competing for the title of Mr. EIU.

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

Since 1983, “The Iron Panther Classic” has been on Eastern’s campus as a showing off the many physiques of students around campus.

The contest, formerly known as “Mr. EIU,” will be 7 p.m. Saturday in the McAfee gym.

Kevin Linker, the assistant director of the Campus Recreation Center, said the name change was implemented to give the competition a sense of inclusion. He said because there are more than just male competitors, they wanted to choose a name that would describe the event as a whole.

Linker said body building is another form of competition that allows students a chance to push themselves above their limit and persevere.

With choosing judges, planning out the technicalities and finding committed contestants, Linker said the event takes a lot to plan. Planning for this event started November of last year.

“Sometimes they have to miss a Thanksgiving meal to get ready,” Linker said. “They are eating smaller portions along with lifting and toning their bodies.”

Three categories will be presented and they are “Mr. EIU,” “Miss Physique,” and “Miss Fitness. 13 males will be competing for Mr. EIU, one female for Miss Fitness and two for Miss Physique, Linker said.

“It’s a unique event and the campus recreation tries to provide something for everyone,” Linker said. “Some like basketball, some like to work out and this is something for those who like to work out.”

The evening will include the competitors doing routines set to music. After their routines, competitors will flex and pose for the judges. These poses will show their different muscle groups and they will be judged on their definition.

There are four different weight levels for the guys; Linker said some are bigger than others as far as height and body build. Those four divisions will be in the final running for the crown of “Mr. EIU 2016.”

David Mitchell, a graduate student in technology, is one of the competitors for the title of Mr. EIU. He said he decided to join after joking about the competition and being laughed by his friends. He said he has always been a skinner male, and the contest gave him the motivation to build some muscle.

“That laughter turned into real motivation to actually do it because they didn’t think I was capable of it,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell said his strict diet and dedication at the gym helped him to gain his targeted weight. He said he would drink two gallons of water a day and eat lean meats. His diet along with getting up at 5 a.m. to go to the Student Recreation Center helped him to lose 21 pounds.

This year the contest will be a diverse one, Mitchell said. He said not too many African-Americans know much about the event and he said he thinks this year support from them will probably be shown.

Mitchell said training for the event brought a sense of fellowship with him and the other competitors.

“We’re all going through the same thing and it was motivating to see a group of guys who are chasing a common goal,” Mitchell said.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]