Glassman to answer students’ questions

Eastern President David Glassman addresses the crowd in front of Old Main during the Surround the Castle event on Sunday.

Cassie Buchman, Associate News Editor

Students who have questions or concerns about the state budget impasse’s effect on Eastern can ask President David Glassman at a student forum at 4 p.m. Monday in 7th Street Underground of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Illinois has gone without a budget and state universities without an appropriation for eight months.

The state currently owes Eastern about $40 million for university operations and between $7 and $9 million for Monetary Award Program reimbursements.

Glassman said the forum will just be him and the students.

He will explain the nature of the budgetary impasse, talk about rumors that have been circulating around the campus and then take questions.

“I want all students to be fully informed about the budgetary impasse in Springfield and how it relates to EIU, so I continue to look for ways to reach out such as student email communications, Facebook postings and forums,” Glassman said. “ It is very important that students receive accurate information and answers to circulating non factual rumors.”

In an email, he said Eastern is not closing and he expects an appropriation from the state to come soon.

Glassman defined the budget impasse as the “standstill and thus complete lack of budget.”

He said Eastern and other public universities are now using reserve funds to cover expenses not being covered by the state.

In this email, Glassman addressed the rumor that Eastern is going to become a satellite school for a larger university, or that it is going to be sold. He said neither is true and the university belongs to the state of Illinois.

He said even though Eastern is cutting back on expenses and laying off 177 civil service employees if the budget impasse continues, the university continues to “meet or exceed” the criteria for accreditation given by the Higher Learning Commission.

Glassman said he is sure students will want to know what the impasse is all about.

After talking with some students who thought the forum would be a good idea, and because not all students read the email Glassman sent out, he said he wanted to have the forum as soon as possible.

He said his first available day was Monday, but he will be glad to schedule another forum if students are interested.

Since he has been out of town on business last week, he asked the office to arrange the event for him on Thursday by posting it on social media.

Cassie Buchman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]