Orchestra prepares for ‘Stagestruck’

Lauren Barry, Staff Reporter

The Eastern Symphony Chamber Orchestra will perform with special guest Jamie Ryan in “Stagestruck” at 4 p.m. in Doudna Fine Arts Center in Dvorak concert hall this Sunday.

Eastern’s Symphony Orchestra and Ryan will perform “Sugaria, Concerto for Marimba and String Orchestra” by Eric Sammut after Stagestruck’s intermission.

Ryan, a percussion professor at Eastern, will accompany the orchestra on the marimba; a 5-octave instrument made of rosewood and played with two to four mallets.

Richard Rossi, director of orchestral and choral activities and conductor of the Concert Choir and Oratorio Society conducts the orchestra.

“Unlike many concerts one would here in an orchestral setting, this piece uses grooves and rhythmic sounds one would hear in jazz, Latin, or contemporary music,” Ryan said.

Ryan worked on the piece slowly through 2015 after Rossi invited him to collaborate with the symphony orchestra for the first time.

Ryan performs regularly with the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra as well as a member of the Galaxy Percussion Group with Michael Udow, Anthony DiSanza and Roger Braun according to the program of the event.

He has also played with Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society, the Oakwood Chamber Players, and the Tool and Drum Ensemble.

Ryan will be performing three types of movements at the concert.

“Each of the three movements has its own style, though they share a late 20th-century jazz- and pop-music influence,” Ryan said.

The first movement is a lyrical piece that requires Ryan to move quickly across the marimba.

The second movement is slower when compared to the first and allows the orchestra to trade melody and accompaniment with the solo marimba, Ryan said.

“The final movement sets a theme in a variety of rhythmic styles, including a waltz, a lively skirmish up and down the marimba, and the sound of a salsa rhythm section,” Ryan said.

Ryan is not the only faculty member contributing to the Stagestruck performance.

Cameron Craig, professor of geology and geography and conductor, will be performing “Hungarian Dance No. 3” by Johannes Brahms.

Craig said that he was excited to conduct his piece.

“It challenges me to focus on my weaknesses as a conductor,” Craig said. “It will increase my understanding of my place in the orchestra as well as the communication process that the orchestra responds to.”

Tickets are available now and are $12 for general admission, $10 for seniors and employees, and $5 for students.

Tickets can be purchased online or by calling Doudna’s box office.

Lauren Barry can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]