Certain employees to receive layoff notices

Layoff notices will be given to certain non-instructional employees this week or next week so layoffs can begin in March.

A 30-day notice is needed to be given to individuals being laid off.

Glassman recently emailed the campus alerting them of these layoffs, saying hundreds of non-instructional employees would need to be temporarily or permanently laid off if no appropriation was received by the state.

Eastern is currently owed $40 million in funding from the state as well as $9 million for Monetary Award Program Grant reimbursements.

Call backs, where laid off employees can get their jobs back if funding allows it, will happen when an appropriation is given to Eastern.

President David Glassman said the administration is still collecting information and reviewing personnel data before sending these notices.

“I have to do it thoughtfully and diligently,” Glassman said.

He said there is not yet a specific day that has been decided, just that they will go out late this week or next week.

The vice presidents worked on reviewing things over the weekend, and are now talking to leaders in different divisions on campus.

They will then go to Glassman to discuss what needs to be done next.

The layoff notices will not go out Tuesday.
For layoffs to begin in March, employees will need to be provided with notice soon, Glassman said.

Jennie Thompson, a building service worker, said the impending layoffs were stressful for a lot of the people she works with, especially those with less seniority.

Civil Service workers have bumping rights, meaning they are able to take the job of employees with less seniority if they so choose. If an employee does not have seniority, they will be laid off.

Patty Shonk, the chief union steward of the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees union, said the union can help people make sure their bumping rights are figures out, that all the civil service rules are followed and everyone understand the process.

As chief union steward, Shonk said she is able to listen to those who have been laid off, as well as sit with them when being told about layoffs and answer questions they may have.

Thompson said it will be tough for many if more people are laid off.

This is because civil service workers already have more areas to work on to make up for the people who are not longer at the school because of last summer’s layoffs.

If more people are laid off, these areas will only get bigger and these employees will have to work harder.

Despite these worries, Thompson said she thinks Glassman is doing the best he can.

“It’s not his fault, it’s the government’s,” she said. “None of us blame him, just the state itself.”

She said the legislatures need to be locked up in their office until a budget gets passed, or at the very least, should not get paid until one does.

“(They are) messing with livelihoods here,” Thompson said.

Cassie Buchman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

View Comments (3)