ASA holding auditions for cultural fashion show

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

While trying to create the perfect fashion show, the African Student Association searching for models to walk their runway.

The ASA is holding auditions for the show at 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in the Casey Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. The actual fashion show is on April 9, with planning for the event having been underway since the beginning of the fall semester.

Jalen Washington, the specialist for the ASA, said one of the reasons he applied for his position was so he could plan the show.

“I just knew that I would have to do this,” Washington said. “This event will bring a good taste of the African culture, but also it will be easy enough for people who are not from the culture to understand it.”

Washington said the show will give off a feel of the movie “Coming to America,” and have a constant theme of traveling.

Julianne Adegoriolu, the president of the ASA, said for auditions ladies are to bring heels, and men should bring dress shoes. She said they are not required to dress up, but can if they so choose.

Adegoriolu said the organization is looking for around 20 to 30 models to be in their show. She said they are also on the lookout for committee people, including people who are willing to work behind the scenes and help put the finishing touches on the show.

The meeting for the committee will be at 5 p.m. on the Tuesday tryout.

“We need people to help out when it comes to clothing, production, selling tickets and even helping out with the storyline,” Adegoriolu said. “It’s not just the models that make the show happen.”

Adegoriolu said they hope to have a relaxed atmosphere at the audition and provide a place for the models to feel comfortable. She said the models will have four judges at the event, so students interested in modeling should come in with open minds.

“We need a lot of personality and open-mindedness because this is not just regular attire and you’re going to see some fashion that you’ve probably never seen before,” Adegoriolu said. “And also confidence and definitely have patience.”

Both Washington and Adegoriolu said individual auditions for the models would take no longer than 5 to 10 minutes.

Anyone interested who cannot make the audition can set up a meeting with the members of the ASA. Washington said the organization might have a last call audition as well.

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]