Students tell how they tackle finals

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

With finals just around the corner, students hunker down in the library, overdose on coffee, and brace themselves for hair pulling and eye-burning nights..

When it comes to finals, students discover innovative and motivating study methods to help get them through the tough week.

Lauren Eberle, sophomore sociology major, preps for finals by rewriting everything instead of just re-reading the content.

“I rewrite everything and if my professor gave me a study guide I would pretend it was a test,” Eberle said. “It’s a good tactic other than just re-reading everything,”

Eberle also said it is helpful to go over key concepts throughout the semester to avoid cramming the night before.

On the other hand, students like Marissa Foglia, a sophomore English and theatre major, prefer to re-read her notes, while Kelsey Overland, a freshmen psychology major, likes to retake tests that were handed back to her.

Lauren Horn, a senior physics major, also likes to go over homework and tests she gets back from her professors.

“Some teachers like to take the homework we’ve done before and put it on our tests so I just go through the homework and whatnot,” Horn said. “There’s other people that give us practice exams and I go through and study them.”

Though stressful times call for desperate measures, some students opt to avoid the all nighters and alleviate the stress by studying for finals ahead of time.

“You should prepare well in advance,” Eberle said. “If you have any doubt or confusion at all just email your professor.”

Horn said that studying the recommended amount of hours helps students understand the material better.

One thing that seemed to be agreed upon is the use of study groups as a preparation tactic, though it does not always work for each person.

“If you can study in a group and not get sidetracked you will do better on a test,” Eberle said.

Despite being prepared for finals this year, Eberle and Foglia do have regrets that motivate them to be the best they can be.

“I regret staying up late freshmen year and trying to cram in everything I learned,” Foglia said.

Horn said she would try study groups if they work out, but she has adapted to studying on her own.

“I study best in complete quiet, in my room, locked up away and no one near me,” Horn said. “I basically just lock myself up in my room and say ‘I’m not coming out’. “

Overland remembered a time in high school when she pulled an all nighter before a final.

Some students also have to balance jobs they have with their academics.

Eberle and Missy Stone, a sophomore communications studies major, have to balance study times with being residence assistants.

Stone said that they are always there for their students, but they themselves are students first and that is the priority.

“I close my door with a note that says I’m studying, but they can knock and come on in,” Stone said. “Thankfully, my residents are really good at understanding that I’m a student just like them, and they respect that.”
Eberle said that being an RA is convienient because she will use the night she is on duty during the week to study for exams and get work done.

Horn said one tip for students is to eat the same kind of mints or chew the same kind of gum while they study and when they take the exam.

“You chew a certain flavor of gum while studying and you chew it during the test, the memories will be easier to trigger,” Horn said.

Another common study tactic is to move locations when you study so you do not get too use to one location.

Booth library will be open and offering de-stress events during finals week.

There will be extended hours during the week and different activities that will be offered beginning Friday, according to a press release.

The library will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Dec. 12th, noon to 1 a.m. Dec. 13th, 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. Dec. 14th to the 17th, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 18th.

On Friday, students will be able to take mad-libs, Sudoku puzzles, and some coloring pages from the Marvin Foyer and south lobbies.

Free popcorn and lemonade will be served from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday to students while supplies last.

While many students like to study in the library, some students, like Stone, are more comfortable studying in a place they know best.

“I always study in my room. I can’t study anywhere else because I feel uncomfortable and can’t focus,” Stone said. “Plus I feel like I get stuff done and accomplished when I’m in my room more. “

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]