CAA discusses next year’s classes

Adam Shay, Staff Reporter

The Council on Academic Affairs had a meeting that discussed new education and computer courses for the next academic year.

The 11 people on the council were given the right to pass or veto the new or revised courses. There were eight courses, which were the main topic of discussion. Five of them could be revised and the three remaining were new courses.

The first class that was discussed was a new course called education psychology: foundations for teachers. Richard Roberts, department chair of counseling and student development, said this class would be most beneficial for students that are pursuing a secondary education degree.

“(The class would be) better suited at the sophomore level,” Roberts said.  The course was unanimously passed.

Another new course the CAA passed is computer programming in technology. The purpose of the course would be an introduction for computer programming for technological applications.  However, this class would be restricted for freshman.

Computer database in technology is the last new course, which was passed.  The class will introduce database management systems in technology, where students will learn configuration, security management, etc.

The major, which was discussed for revision, was the finance major. Some classes were changed from core classes to electives for this major.   After a long discussion, all 11 council members passed the revisions.

Along with the finance major, the course focus on diabetes also has the option to become hybrid. It is only a one-credit class that is taken on weekends.  The council was in favor again for trying out the hybrid method.

For the course nutrition for physical performance, the revision for the course would be to only offer it online. It is also an elective for anyone to take as long as they have the prerequisites, however, the class would remain a requirement for exercise science majors. The council was all in favor for offering the course only online.

The course adult weight management had a proposed revision to also make it an only online course.

Debra Reid, a history professor, said she found proposal for the course ironic.

“It’s ironic that it’s now going to be sitting at the computer and taking a course on a adult weight management,” Reid said.

An idea that stemmed from this revision is the possibility that it could increase enrollment.

The only course that was postponed until next week is consumers in the marketplace. The reason for its postponement is that the council members needed more time to think about the idea of freshman taking the course. It is a critical-thinking class that is registered as a 3000 level course. By next week, the council hopes to come to a decision.

Adam Shay can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]