Take a day off when needed to recover

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

Mental health days seem to be a necessity for students, especially when there are big exams that are just around the corner.

I don’t just mean midterms or finals week, but those classes where the only grades you have are two tests and a paper.

Taking a mental health day can be a great thing every once in a while so we can relieve stress.

I, personally, like taking a mental health day every once in a while.

Taking a mental health day is more than just skipping class, though.

When it is time to take a mental health day, it is important to email your professor and see what you missed and get notes from a classmate.

Taking these days for yourself can help you out in more ways than you may think.

When you take a day for yourself, you are able to do the things that help you relax and allow you to take a much needed breath.

These days are for you to take a nap and to remind yourself that you are doing everything right.

These are the days where you can catch up on your TV series, watch that movie you have been meaning to watch and catching up or starting early on some assignments you may need to do for a class.

There is nothing wrong with taking a mental health day, because a lot of the time, we put more stress on ourselves as students and sometimes as employees.

Sometimes, taking these mental health days is exactly what we need to do so we don’t freak out over dropping a plate in the dining halls.

While taking these days is a great thing, they should be used sparingly.

It would not be beneficial to us to take frequent days to relax and get a pedicure.

Everybody needs a mental health day, especially around times when we have exams.

The mental health days do not need to be a day when you have the most classes or the day when you know your teacher is not taking attendance.

Sometimes, the best mental health day is the one where you are sitting in your room on a Saturday morning and you know that you don’t have much to do that day.

Those are the best days to take a mental health day, because you know that there may not be a lot on your to-do list that day.

Being able to take these days for yourself is a treat, and I think more people should do things for themselves.

I think everyone deserves a day to sit down and do nothing, because in the end, those are the days that help get you through the stressful times that being a college student can hand you.

Mackenzie Freund is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]