Friend zone is complex

Sydney Edwards, Copy Editor

When a person starts to like someone, it takes a lot of courage for them to tell their crush how they feel. When they finally get the courage to tell them the person thinks the moment is going to be some big happy ending, but no. They hear the dreaded phrase “I just want to be friends.”

This statement is also known as the friend zone.

According to Google, friend zone is defined as a situation in which a friendship exists between two people, one of whom has an unreciprocated romantic or sexual interest in the other.

The friend zone is a dreaded term by all. In my opinion, it is almost as bad as being rejected by your romantic interest in as a whole.

Why do people friend zone?

I believe that people friend zone because they are “scared” of ruining the treasured friendship they already have with the other person. Honestly, people should learn to take a risk! Have you not heard of people saying that they married their best friend? Most relationships start out as friendships, so sometimes it is worth it to branch out.

Other reason may be that the other person is seeing someone else but they have not told the other friend yet. This is kind of sad, though. For me, when I start seeing someone I want to tell my friends so they can enjoy the excitement with me. Sharing is caring.

The most important reason is that the other person just does not have feelings for the other friend. This is a difficult situation to be in. For the friend who is friend zoning, this sucks because they hate that they are hurting the other person’s feelings. When it comes down to it, each person deserves to be happy. Someone should not just jump into a relationship because they feel bad about hurting the other person’s feelings. If your friendship can make it through that heartbreak and awkward phase, then the friendship is a good one.

Overall, the friend zone sucks. Unless it is better for both parties. Then, the friend zone is a blessing.

When it comes down to it, give things a good thought before you say the phrase “I just want to be friends.” This term can either make a friendship stronger, or make it end. You never know, taking a risk and stepping outside the friend zone into a relationship may be one of the best decisions a person could make.

If you take a risk and step outside the friend zone to start a relationship, and eventually get married, I want an invitation to the wedding.

Sydney Edwards is a freshman marketing major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]