Cross Country set for Notre Dame Invite

Eastern’s Quincy Knolhoff and Ruth Garippo finished eighth and 12th respectively during the Walt Crawford Open on Sept. 4 at the Panther Trail.

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s and women’s cross country teams return to competition Friday when they compete in the Notre Dame Invitational.

Eastern will compete in the Gold Division race in South Bend, Ind.

The Panther women will start at 3:15 p.m. and the men will start at 4 p.m. The women’s race will get a 5K race, while the men will run a 5-mile race.

Along with Notre Dame, the women’s field will include 20 teams, including Indiana State, who is currently ranked in the top 25 in the Great Lakes Region. Ohio Valley Conference member Murray State will also be in the field of 20 teams.

The men’s field also includes 20 teams and will feature two teams that are ranked in the top 25 in the Great Lakes Region.

Butler University and the University of Milwaukee are ranked 12th and 15th, respectively. OVC member Murray State will be in the field for the men’s side.

The last time Eastern was in action was Sept. 11 at the Country Financial Illinois State Invitational. Junior Riley McInerney was named OVC Male Runner of the week after his second place finish with a personal best time of 24 minutes and 41.7 seconds.

Junior Paxson Menard placed top 10 as well in the race with a time of 24:58.7. As a team, the Panthers placed fourth.

Sophomore Maria Baldwin placed 12th in the race for the women with a time of 18:14.6 and led he team to a sixth place finish.

Junior’s Ivy Handley and Emily Brelsfoard placed in the top 25 as well in the meet.

This will be the Eastern men’s and women’s third race of the season. The men and women teams will have a week off next week before heading to the Bradley “Pink” Invitational in Peoria.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]