City council plans to close streets for various parades

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

The Charleston City Council is planning to temporarily close nine city streets for three routes during the Homecoming and Halloween parades in October.

The Homecoming committee planned the parade for Eastern on Oct. 24, to close Seventh Street from Campus to the city square, Seventh Street to Sixth Street at Monroe Avenue, Sixth Street to Polk Avenue, Polk Avenue to Fourth Street, and Fourth Street to O’Brien Stadium.

The plan for the Homecoming parade for Charleston High School on Oct. 9, is to close Smith Drive, Fifteenth Street, Seventh Street, Monroe Street and Sixth Street.

The Jefferson Grade School’s Halloween parade will take place along the streets of Eighth Street from Jefferson to Monroe, around the square and back down Monroe to Eighth Street.

The potential street closing on Sept. 12th is for the annual soap box derby hosted by the Cup Scout pack 41.

The street planning to be closed is Eighth Street between Jackson and Van Buren Avenues.

A new member being appointed to a three-year term on the Historic Preservation Commission is also up for recommendation to be approved by the council members.

City council will also be making a proclamation that the annual Constitution Week of Sept. 17-23.

Housing Outreach Prevention and Education or HOPE of East Central Illinois is also planning its annual Night of Hope at Jackson Avenue Coffee, which will include a raffle with prizes to give away.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]