Annual pep rally closes out first night before class

Billy the Panther dances along with the Pink Panthers before First Night kicks off on the South Quad on Sunday.

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

Members of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority released balloons in memorial of those who have lost their lives because of social injustice.

Sigma Gamma Rho performed a step routine, which included cheers as well as a tribute to the fallen, which was one of the student acts of First Night an Eastern tradition organized by Student Government.

Members of Sigma Gamma Rho release balloons to honor the memories of Sandra Bland and others who have lost their lives to social injustice during First Night on Sunday on the South Quad.

Eastern President David Glassman started off the night with a speech to welcome the students to Eastern.

Eastern president David Glassman winds up to throw a t-shirt out to the assembled crowd during FIrst Night on Sunday on the South Quad.

The night was lead by the emcee’s Omar Solomon, an admissions counselor, and Ryan Alderman, a junior kinesiology and sports studies major.

During the pep rally there were performances by the marching band, Pink Panthers, and the EIU Cheerleaders.

The emcees, along with the Blue Crew split the crowd in half and with the help of the cheerleaders, performed a cheer off to see which side of the crowd could yell the loudest.

Athletes also went up on stage to introduce themselves and their sports on campus.

Shirmeen Ahmad, the student body president, said she was glad the athletes could really participate in the pep rally.

Catie Witt, executive vice president and Shirmeen Ahmad, student body president, welcome students to campus during First Night on Sunday on the South Quad.

The athletes participated in a competition to see who could get a cookie from their forehead to their mouths without using their hands.

Glassman said that he enjoyed the spirit that came from the crowd during the pep rally.

“There is so much excitement and energy,” Glassman said. “It’s wonderful to see and experience.”

Glassman also said that he liked how many of the students came from all over campus to attend the pep rally.

Towards the end of the pep rally, students were brought up on stage to participate in a dance off.

Ahmad said “There were only supposed to be five students on stage, but 20 showed up and it worked out perfectly.”

While in the process of planning the pep rally, Ahmad said that she wanted to get more student groups involved.

“Every student is in something they really love, and they put all their heart into it and make successes, they leave their mark, and that’s what make EIU, EIU,” Ahmad said.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2512 or at [email protected]