Award ceremony to honor women’s achievements

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

The women’s studies program will be hosting its annual awards ceremony at 5:30 p.m. March 31 in 7th Street Underground.

Melissa Ames, an English professor, said the ceremony has various awards that showcase the program’s commitment to and recognition of excellence.

Ames said the scholarships being awarded would be in the categories of creative work, community service and activism.

“It’s to recognize the work of dedicated, talented women, Eastern students, faculty and community members,” Ames said.

One of the scholarship awards that will be given out is for the 2015 Central Illinois Feminist Film Festival. The theme for this year’s award is Coming of Age Sexuality with a screening of “Mosquita y Mari.”

The festival is in its eighth year and helps to promote the program’s mission of understanding how issues related to gender, age, race, economic status, sexual identity and nationally affect a woman’s life.

Ames said most of the awards are not limited to gender and could be given out to men who are minoring in women’s studies; however, the Woman of Achievement and Women of Artistic Vision awards are only given to women.

The Woman of Achievement awards honor women at Eastern who have made a significant contribution to the Charleston community or Eastern. The women must be worthy role models, advance in the progress of women’s causes, contribute to the success of women’s professional or community organizations, defend women’s rights, champion the cause of equity and/ or make outstanding contributions in service to the community or Eastern.

Ames said the ceremony would show the students they are important assets to the community.

“It’s nice to show Women’s History and Awareness Month with the work we’re doing and the work that still needs to be done,” Ames said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].