Tarble to show undergraduate student artwork

Stephanie White, Entertainment Editor

Many Eastern undergraduate student artists will show their work at the Tarble Arts Center this weekend, but only one will persuade the judges and be the one to win.

This show will be a competitive exhibit for all undergraduate students and will be displaying all forms of media from painting to ceramics.  The show will be from Saturday until March 29.

The show is co-sponsored by Eastern’s art department and by Tarble.

The coordinator of the exhibition is Ann Coddington, an assistant professor in the art department.

Michael Watts, the director of Tarble, said a panel of college and university art faculty as well as art professionals from around the area select the art that is going to be displayed.

An awards ceremony will follow the opening day, from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Atrium in Tarble.  The awards will be presented at 2:30p.m.

The people who will judge the students’ artwork include Charlie Buckley, a landscape and cityscape painter from the University of Mississippi; Haley Ahlers, a graphic designer and photographer from the University of Illinois; and Lisa Costello, the gallery director at Parkland College.

Watts said the judges already selected the winners of the awards on Tuesday.  The list of selected entries for the art show will be posted by 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the art office in the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

Stephanie White can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].