Companies to look for student hires at career fair

Luis Martinez, Administration Editor

Career Network Day will have more than 80 employers looking at hiring Eastern students for any available positions they might have.

Career Network Day happens every semester, expect during the summer, and both large and small companies who want to hire students will be present.

Linda Moore, the master career counselor director, said one of the things students tend to do is focus on the larger companies that come instead of the smaller, growing companies.

“These are companies that have job opportunities, where if students work hard, they get promoted and they make more money,” Moore said.

Moore said large companies, such as Fortune 500 companies, are not always the best job opportunities for students.

“We want to reinforce the message that students don’t need to look at big name companies,” Moore said. “They need to identify companies that are growing.”

These are companies that are adding revenues and are growing faster than the economy.  Some companies that will be attending Career Network Day include some that students may be familiar with, including The Sherwin-Williams Company, Enterprise Holdings, and Caterpillar.

Moore said while these are more well known, students need to look at the positions that these companies are currently offering, not just applying because it is a well-known name.

Another thing that students tend to do is focus on online job searching. While she said she does not want online job searching to go away, Moore said it is better to turn a resume in to a person so that the recruiter can meet the person applying.

“Pitch your case in person instead of over the internet,” Moore said. “Internet job search should be a strategy, not your major strategy.”

The Career Network Day job fair will be from noon to 4 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom in the Martin Luther King University Union.

Luis Martinez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].