Upcoming brunch to spark unity

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

The National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs will be hosting a Unity Brunch, which will be the first event kick starting this year’s African-American Heritage Month at noon Sunday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Maya Pitts, the president of the organization, said the event is a way to get many students together in one area with food and performances as a way of uniting people, especially with it being African-American Heritage Month.

The brunch is also a way to allow students from different ethnicities to come together bonding and unifying on campus, Pitts said.

“(It’s) bringing back something new,” Pitts said.

While students are participating in the brunch, various organizations will also be performing, like a dance performance from Rhythm and X-tacy, a fashion show from Couture Models’, dancing from African Student Association and a poetry recital.

Pitts said the performances from the different organizations are also a show of unity among them.

“It (allows) everyone to display their talents and incorporate it with African-Americans as well,” Pitts said.

Pitts said the idea for the brunch was created a while ago because they wanted to see more unity among students on campus regardless of gender, race/ethnicity and sexual orientation, which is particularly why the idea for the brunch was created.

She said there were problems in the past among others, but that does not mean the event should not continue.

“This is something that should be done everyday—there should be unity everyday,” Pitts said.

Pitts said one of the more interesting aspects of the event is that it is a brunch with performances from other organizations, which will add an entertainment aspect.

“It’s one big event that gets everyone together,” Pitts said.

She said the goal of the event is also a way to get everyone on campus out to support each other because of the overall importance of getting the campus together understanding unity.

“People need to set an example with others; it’s going beyond college campuses,” Pitts said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 at [email protected].