Graphic design program challenges students

Stephanie White

Zoe Volk,a junior graphic design major, working on projects in the Doudna computer lab.

Stephanie White, Entertainment Editor

Students in Eastern’s graphic design program face distinct challenges from other majors, and while some are accepted into the program, others end up having to find alternate paths.

Sophomore graphic design majors near the middle of their spring semester have to turn a resume in along with a portfolio of the work they have done in their past art classes at Eastern, said David Griffin, the chair of the art department.

Senior faculty members will gather and choose the top 25 to 30 best portfolios to continue on in the graphic design program, Griffin said.

“Students will then be waitlisted into the classes, and once I find out they are moving out, I add them into the classes,” he said.

He said it is done that way so students who were not accepted into the program do not sign up for those classes.

Every semester the students in the program are told what time to go to the classes because they do not have a choice of times.

“There is only one time for those specific classes for that class of students, which is why students are told their schedule by their advisers,” Griffin said.

Two classes exist for graphic design students: the junior class and the senior class. The classes do not mix with each other like most classes.

Juniors stay with each other and the same goes for seniors, he said.

That is because students are accepted at different times, so it would be difficult to mix the classes.

He said graphic design is a popular major for art students to come into when they are freshmen.

“Parents sort of see it as well as ‘that way my child can go into the art program and get a job,’” he said.

That and the limited size of the program Griffin said are the reasons the admission process is in place.

Hannah Freeman is a professor for the program and was a graphic design student at Eastern until she graduated in 2013. She graduated from Eastern with a master’s degree in 2014, and this is her first year teaching.

Freeman said graphic design is one of the most popular programs at Eastern, and the people who get accepted into the program are serious about becoming designers after their education.

“There are people who try to get into the program and are not accepted, but they find their passion elsewhere,” she said.

The benefit of going through the program with the same group and class of people every semester is that you form a type of family, Freeman said.

“You are surrounded by your peers and are the same level as one another. You help one another, which make you stronger in your work,” she said. “I see this every day, students helping one another. It helps to have the opinions of others around you because more then one head can help.”

She said the way the program is organized and the way students interact with one another helps them in future careers in the field.

“They will be collaborating with others in the future with companies and other artists, so learning that now will help them work with their future clients,” Freeman said. “Also the vocabulary and the way they communicate with one another in the classroom is similar to how it will be for them in real life.”

Along with the family environment, the graphic design program allows students to gain the experience expected by future employers, she said.

“The information they are gaining in those classes and coming out with a portfolio that is consistent with what employer, graphic design firms and in-house graphic design facilities are looking for,” Griffin said.

The criteria on what is needed for the portfolio and resume can be found on Eastern’s website.

It is a good model for students to follow, but it will also be updated later on this semester, Griffin said.

Stephanie White can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].