Specialists weigh in on being healthy in college

Nicholas Ruffolo, Staff Reporter

According to Eastern dietitian Laura Jacob, the “freshman 15” is a lie.

“It’s more like the freshman five,” Jacob said. “Being away from home for the first time, the situation changes so much. It’s a big switch for food, but not as much as the myth (states).”

The switch involves going from home-cooked meals to relying on dining hall foods for nourishment, Jacob said.

She said dining halls have many options that are less healthy, but students still have an opportunity to eat well.

“It takes some practice and education,” Jacob said. “I feel like if students have enough meals in their meal plan, they are more likely to be well nourished.”

Eric Luminais, a senior music major, said he thinks dining halls are conquerable as well, but it takes some digging.

“It’s tough,” Luminais said. “Sometimes there is no good healthy option, but you can always find something.”

To help students like Luminais interested in healthier eating habits, Health Services offers classes specifically for eating at the dining halls.

Sylvia Crowder, the coordinator for nutrition education, manages the courses.

“I really recommend talking with friends and putting your fork down in between bites,” Crowder said. “Make meals last about 20 minutes because it takes that long for your stomach to register to your brain that you’re full.”

Similarly, in a philosophy called “mindful eating,” Jacob said students should savor each bite and enjoy the meal in front of them.

She also said individuals should avoid using words such as “unhealthy” or “healthy” because they tend to encourage the wrong mindset.

“When you label something as healthy or unhealthy, you’re labeling yourself for eating it,” Jacob said. “(You tell yourself) ‘Oh, I was good today, I only ate fruit.’ Or ‘I was bad today, I had dessert.’”

Crowder also cautioned against subconsciously eating while doing other activities throughout the day.

She said when students do not pay attention to their food, they lose track of how much they have consumed.

“Make (the) meal your main focal point,” Crowder said. “Instead of just mindless snacking as you’re sitting in front of your computer screen doing work, you’ll be more conscious of what you’re eating.”

Luminais said the concept of subconscious eating is still a challenge for him and possibly many others.

“That is definitely a problem I still have issues with,” Luminais said. “I tried to counter it with something low-calorie, but if you start doing it and it becomes a habit, it is really hard to break.”

Sleep-deprived individuals have similar eating habits, as fatigue is associated with hunger and food intake, Jacob said.

“There are different appetite hormones affected by lack of sleep,” Jacob said. “You’re much more likely to eat more when you don’t get enough sleep.”

The hormone leptin tends to suppress the appetite of an individual, while ghrelin increases the need to eat.

When one lacks adequate sleep, the presence of ghrelin elevates and leptin levels decrease, Jacob said.

Kenji Ohseki, a postgraduate biology major, said the human brain has its quirks when it comes to hunger.

“It’s a weird brain thing,” Ohseki said. “I remember reading somewhere that when food is in abundance, it makes you hungrier.”

According to the International Journal of Obesity, an increase in access to food has caused the public to feel hungry and eat more.

Jacob said dealing with students who have a car and can afford to dine out poses more challenges for eating healthy.

Jacob suggested passing on “freebies” such as bread or chips, while making sure to eat a light snack filled with protein before leaving the house.

While dieting can increase quality of life for a student, one crucial aspect of being healthy comes from hitting the gym.

“When you don’t exercise, as you age, you lose muscle tissue,” Jacob said. “That’s important because that muscle tissue is more metabolically active than fat tissue.”

As the muscle tissue decreases and the fat tissue increases, the body’s metabolic rate decreases, Jacob said.

When the metabolic rate, defined as the rate at which humans spend energy, decreases, less excess calories will burn, resulting in weight gain.

Luminais said he knows the importance of exercise, and being healthy takes ambition and perseverance.

“It’s one of those things you have to realize you want to (do it),” Luminais said. “I just set aside a specific time that no matter what day it is, I come (to the gym). There is no excuse.”

“Mindful eating” and other dieting techniques can help mitigate the unhealthy choices people make in college, protecting the future health of an individual.

Most students will gain weight over the four-year span of attending university, Jacob said. There are too many mitigating factors for the average person to be healthy and nutritious often.

“It is really a transitional period,” Jacob said. “(With the) financial challenges students may have, you run out of money, (then) what are you going to eat? Ramen noodles.”

The Health Education Resource Center offers free services to all students, including one-on-one nutrition consultations with Crowder.

“If there is a student who wants to lose weight, maintain weight, (or) gain weight, they come to me and fill-out a three-day food recall,” Crowder said. “Then I’m able to meet with them one-on-one and help them reach their nutrition goals.”

Crowder also coordinates classes during Prowl week for incoming freshman in an effort to encourage healthy eating habits from the start.

“I definitely think there is a huge correlation between the success of students maintaining their weight in college and the presentations that we offer,” Crowder said.

Nicholas Ruffalo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].