‘Hustle’ needed for holiday 5k

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

In order to support the One Stop Community Christmas, Eastern will be having its third annual Holiday Hustle 5k run, which will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday, and the race will end at Old Main.

Andrew Donsbach, one of the co-founders and coordinators of the hustle, said the idea for the 5k came from he and a group of six other students who wanted to do a service project for the Eastern and Charleston community.

Donsbach said when he and the other six members started the hustle they were all strangers, but now that the event has gained in momentum they have all become friends and grown a lot closer.

Donsbach said the members asked Rachel Fisher, the director of student community service, about what organization to support and Fisher suggested One Stop Community Christmas, which is a local organization that provides food, blankets and toys for those who may not have those items.

“We took the holiday theme and ran with it,” Donsbach said.

One of the goals for their first 5k was to get as many people as possible participating, and they saw 80 runners for their first 5k.

In the two years the 5k has been running, they have raised nearly $5,000 for the One Stop Community Christmas

The goal for this year’s event is to raise $3,000, and for the runners to have fun and help support One Stop as much as possible, Donsbach said.

“We try and make sure everything runs smoothly,” he said.

Donsbach said Eastern students call Charleston their home for nine months out the year and the event will allow them to give back to the community.

“It’s a good way to impact our community while just having a good time,” he said.

Donsbach said that with the run being in December, it’s possible the weather could be a risk, but because the run is for fun and a charity, participants will be there to enjoy the event. Those running are also encouraged to dress warmly and even in Christmas sweaters; however, the last few 5k races have had decent temperatures and Donsbach is hoping for the same outcome this year.

“Dressing up is encouraged; it’s more fun,” Donsbach said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].