BSU debates student leadership

BSU+debates+student+leadership+

Jessica Reed, Staff Reporter

The Black Student Union gathered Greek and non-Greek students together to discuss issues both groups face with leadership on campus.

Students were split into two groups, Greeks and Non-Greeks, and then asked the initial question that sparked the discussion: “What does leadership mean to you?”

Eric Echols, a senior communication studies major and President of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., said being a leader means making sacrifices for the rest of the team and being responsible for one’s own actions.

Greeks were also asked if students could be Greek and still be a leader.

Most Greeks responded that their members can be leaders because their fraternities and sororities help with networking, but they will not necessarily open doors to new opportunities.

Non-Greeks were also asked about their impression of Greeks.

Andrea Jenkins, a senior health studies major, said Greeks are held to a higher standard.

Some non-Greeks said the reason Greeks are held to a higher standard could be that students pay more attention to black fraternities and sororities than other minority organizations.

Kendall Jackson, a senior family and consumer sciences major, agreed that the topic of student leadership needed to be brought to students’ attention.

“BSU did a great job,” Jackson said. “People tend to brush this under the rug.”

Kendel Fields, a junior health studies major and member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., said the event was supposed to bridge the gap between Greeks and non-Greeks and show that it is OK for both groups to be leaders.

“You’re the cause of your change,” Fields said.

Another question debated was whether or not it is harder to be a leader for non-Greeks.

Tylen Elliot, a sophomore communication studies major, said he did not believe it would be harder for non-Greeks.

“It’s not harder to be a leader if you’re not Greek because a leader is a leader,” Elliot said.

Alexis Lambert, BSU president and a senior psychology major, said the discussion was just another Monday meeting, and this topic in particular has been brought up before but not been discussed in-depth.

Jessica Reed can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].