BSU to host Homecoming events

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

As part of tradition, Mr. Essence and Miss Black EIU will be showing up to various events during Homecoming Week.

Alexis Lambert, the current Miss Black EIU, and Brandall Miles, the current Mr. Essence, will also be working closely together on Black Student Union events.

Lambert said BSU would be hosting its annual skate party for all Eastern students at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Silver Star Skate Center in Mattoon. She said the organization would provide shuttle services to take students to and from the party.

The skate show is one of BSU’s more popular events and it is something the group hosts every Homecoming, Lambert said.

Miles and Lambert will be present at the event skating together; both laughed and joked about it being a “couple’s” skate.

Lambert said BSU would also be hosting a fashion show with the models of Couture Models’ at 8 p.m. Oct. 24.

She said much like the skating event, the fashion show is a fun event for students and BSU has hosted fashion show events in the past.

Lambert said the group also wanted to do something other than parties for Homecoming Week. The fashion show is a way to go back to the organization’s roots.

The fashion show will also host a social media celebrity K.C. Clark from Instagram.

Lambert said Clark is an up-and-coming comedian and dancer who will host the event and even perform his female persona “Kiki.”

BSU also participates in University Board events including a “Sidewalk Party” during that week, which will have various organizations set up tables on the sidewalk showing school spirit and talking to students about their organization, Lambert said.

Lambert said all of the events put on during Homecoming Week are important for showing spirit and support for the school.

“We are all panthers and we are all here,” Lambert said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]