Professor to give presentation on leaders of civil rights

Miracle Jones, Staff Reporter

Although the two are not normally associated together, a careful look at history shows that Cesar Chavez picked up where Martin Luther King Jr. left off in the Civil Rights movement, said Jose Deustua, chair of the Latino/Latin American studies committee.

Deustua said Chavez expanded the movement to include Latinos who had their rights denied, and like King, he used non-violent, peaceful protests.

Deustua will be giving a lecture on the role of Chavez in the ‘60s and how he relates to King at 3 p.m. Thursday in the Arcola/ Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Deustua said he seeks to change the fact that today’s generation does not know about Chavez.

Chavez formed the National Farm Workers Association, which eventually became United Farm Workers. He dedicated his life to improving the treatment, pay and working conditions of farm workers. He participated in boycotts, hunger strikes and marches.

Deustua said Latino heritage is an important subject to him.

“I’ve always worked with the Latino heritage community, and being Latino myself makes this something that I truly care about,” he said.

Deustua also said students can gain a new perspective by learning this history.

“Students should walk away with the ideas that we should treat all people equally, whether they are African American, Latino or any other race,” he said. “Also we should strive for the government to respect the rights of all citizens whether they were born here or not.”

Those who want to learn more about Chavez’s effect on Latin American culture can attend a movie at 7 p.m. in Buzzard Hall Auditorium on Friday and Saturday.

Miracle Jones can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].