6 inducted into Eastern’s Hall of Fame

Jason Howell | The Daily Eastern News President Bill Perry introduces the university’s 2014 inductees for the Hall of Fame

Aldo Soto, Sports Editor

Eastern inducted six new members into its Hall of Fame during Saturday’s game against Southern Illinois-Carbondale.

The new inductees included former athletes, Rachel Galligan, who played basketball from 2006-09, Ron White, who was on the men’s track team from 2000-02, Amanda Bos, who swam from 1998-00 and offensive lineman Brad Fichtel, who played from 1989-92.

Former men’s basketball coach Rick Samuels was also inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame after coaching the Panthers from 1981-2005. Joni Comstock was inducted as a friend of athletics as well.

Rachel Galligan – women’s basketball

Rachel Galligan ended her career with Eastern as the program’s all-time leading scorer with 1,891 points. She played from 2006-09, when she was named a first-team All-Ohio Valley Conference selection three times after her freshman season.

In 2006, Galigan was named the conference’s Freshman of the Year. During her final two seasons with the Panthers, she led them to OVC tournament championship game.

As a junior, Galigan led the OVC in scoring, averaging 18.5 points per game. She also finished her career ranked No. 1 in the school’s career blocked shots list with 185.

Galigan was also on the women’s track and field team, where she ranked No. 5 in the javelin all-time for Eastern. In 2007, she was the OVC champion in the javelin and earned a trip to the NCAA Regional.

Ron White – men’s track and field

In 2002, Ron White was named OVC Outdoor Male Athlete of the Year, capping off his record-setting career with the Eastern track and field team.

White was a two-time NCAA All-American, while being with the Panthers from 2000-02. He placed twice in the top-10 at the NCAA National Championships, competing in the javelin. His highest finish in the championships was sixth in 2002, after finishing 10th in 2000.

He set the school record in the javelin with a toss of 251 feet, 8 inches while his OVC Championships record toss was 248 feet, 6 inches. White won the conference championship in the javelin twice.

Amanda Bos – women’s swimming

Amanda Bos helped the Panthers finish runner-up in the season-ending Mideast/Midwest Classic in each of her four years with the Eastern women’s swim team, while ending her career with seven record times.

Entering the 2014-15 swim season, Bos still holds times ranked in the top-five all-time in the 100-freestlye, 200-freestyle, 500-freestyle, 100-butterfly, and 200-butterfly, respectively.

She is still part of the school record-holding team in the 400-freestyle relay, with a time of 3:33.21.

Bos earned second-team Academic All-American honors as a senior as well.

Brad Fichtel – football

The Los Angeles Rams selected offensive lineman Brad Fiechtel in the seventh round of the 1993 NFL Draft after playing for Eastern from 1989-1992.

He played in three games during the 1994 season in Los Angeles, spending two years with the Rams. At Eastern, he anchored the Panthers’ offensive line and was a two-time All-American and three-time All-Gateway Conference selection at offensive line.

In 1991, Fichtel earned second team All-American honors by Sports Network, moving from offensive guard to center. Fichtel was a member of the Panthers 1989 NCAA FCS playoff team that reached the quarterfinal round.

He was selected to the Gateway Conference All-Decade team as an offensive lineman.

Rick Samuels – men’s basketball coach

Rick Samuels spent 25 seasons coaching the Eastern men’s basketball team, which was the second longest tenure in the Division I level at the end of his career.

From 1981-2005, Samuels led Eastern to two NCAA Tournament appearances, while winning 360 games.

In 2001, the Panthers won the OVC championship that advanced Eastern into its second NCAA Tournament under Samuels. Eastern’s first appearance in the tournament was in 1992, when the Panthers won the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament.

Eastern also won the 1985 Mid-Continent Conference Tournament, but did not advance to the NCAA because of the league’s lack of an automatic bid.

Under Samuels, three Panthers were selected to the NBA Draft. Kevin Duckworth, Jon Collins and Kyle Hill were all drafted by NBA teams, while a fourth player, Jay Taylor, signed and played as an NBA free agent.

Samuels coached Eastern’s and the OVC’s leading scorer Henry Domercant.

Joni Comstock – friend of athletics

Joni Comstock was inducted as a friend of athletics based on the effect she has had not only on Eastern athletics, but also on the national collegiate athletic scene.

Comstock currently serves as the NCAA Senior Woman Administrator and Senior Vice President for Championships at the NCAA.

In her current position she is in charge of 85 NCAA Championships, statistics, playing rules, administration, media coordination and serves as a member of the President’s Senior Management Team.

Aldo Soto (@AldoSoto21) can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].