Students to march for Ferguson conflict

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

The Theta Zeta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority will be hosting a campus-wide march in support of the protestors in Ferguson, Mo. as well as a discussion regarding the actions that took place in the city.

The march, officially called “Stand up & Speak Out,” will take place at 5:13 p.m. Wednesday from the Greek Court common area to Doudna steps. They will then move into the discussion at 6:13 p.m.

The march is not only meant to speak out about what is happening in Ferguson. On Aug. 9, Darren Wilson, a Ferguson Police Department officer, shot and killed Michael Brown, 18. This led to growing protest and unrest in the town over the validity of the shooting.

Kelsey Hosea, the vice president of Delta Sigma Theta, said the march will begin with students creating posters in the Greek Court common area that will promote non-violence and support Brown and many others who have been affected by similar deaths.

Hosea said she hopes students feel inspired to write how they feel on the posters.

She also said students at Eastern should take interest in the march because it has heavily impacted the image and lives of minorities around the United States—especially African-Americans.

“We would like Eastern’s campus to be aware that we are all knowledgeable on the things happening in America,” Hosea said. “We take an active interest in supporting minorities.”

Shawn Peoples, the associate director of student standards, said she believes the march will spark dialogue within the Eastern-Charleston community, which will allow everyone to congregate in a peaceful and positive manner as the incident has affected many lives national and internationally.

Since the shooting, police officers have used tear gas and rubber bullets on protestors and journalists.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].