Campus shooting occurs at Purdue; 1 dead

By Bob Galuski

Managing Editor | @BobGaluski

Students at Purdue University received text message alerts and emails informing them of an on-campus shooting that resulted in the death of a one person Tuesday.

Andrew Boldt, a senior in the College of Engineering, was reported to be the one death, according to The Exponent, Purdue’s campus newspaper.

The Exponent also reported that the shooter was identified as Cody Cousins, a senior in the College of Engineering.

Purdue Police Chief John Cox and Purdue Provost Tim Sands released statements during a press conference Tuesday regarding the shooting. The press conference is on The Exponent’s website.

Cox said he did not believe Cousins was targeting anyone except for Boldt.

“This individual seemed to have intentions for the decedent,” he said during the press conference.

Cousins was working alone, Cox also said.

Cousins, who shot Boldt in Purdue’s Electrical Engineering Building, gave himself up outside the Electrical Engineering Building, Cox added.

He said the shooting occurred in a basement classroom of the Electrical Engineering Building.

“We immediately did a couple sweeps of the building, cleared the building,” Cox said during the press conference. “Kudos to the staff and the students – they did exactly as we trained and have been trained.”

Cox also said during the press conference that Cousins gave no statement to the arresting officer, and more than 20 police officers responded.

“Call came in about noon. Our partners in the community were listening to the scanners and they responded,” he said during the press conference. “We probably had 20, 25 police officers there within a minute or two.”

The shooting happened while a class was in session, however, Cox said he was unsure of how many students were in attendance. He said there were witnesses, however.

Sands said the incident was contained to the Electrical Engineering Building, which is why classes were still in session.

“Since the incident is confined to the Electrical Engineering Building and everything else has been secured, classes are back in session,” he said. “Everything is operating normally on campus, except for the Electrical Engineering Building, which is currently closed.”

Purdue President Mitch Daniels canceled Wednesday classes for Purdue, according to The Exponent.

Sands said he understands concerns from students who may feel the campus is unsafe, but during the press conference assured that the campus is safe.

“We feel like we have control of the situation, and we’re encouraging students to go about their usual business on campus, except for the Electrical Engineering Building,” he said.

Bob Galuski can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].