Scholastic bowl set for this weekend

Numerous high school students will descend upon Eastern’s campus this weekend to compete against each other using only their minds.

Eastern’s Honors Program will hold its 16th annual Scholastic Bowl Tournament Saturday on the second floor of Coleman Hall. The tournament will begin at 8:30 a.m. with an introduction and opening remarks from Herbert Lasky, director of the Honors Program.

Following the introduction, a round-robin tournament will take place consisting of 24 high school teams paired against each other and eliminated as the day goes on, Lasky said.

“The purpose is to run a regional bowl in preparation for the National Scholastic Bowl,” he said.

All teams are guaranteed at least three matches, a press release said. The winners from each bracket advance to the five championship rounds scheduled to start at 12:15 p.m.

Following the championship round, at approximately 4 p.m., the awards ceremony will take place in Room 2030 of Lumpkin Hall. Awards include trophies for the top seven teams and medallions to the members of the All-Tournament Team. High schools that are scheduled to participate in the event include Casey-Westfield, Charleston, Cumberland, East Richland, Edwards County, Effingham, Fairfield, Flora Georgetown-Ridgefar, Hutsonville, Meridian, Mt. Carmel, Newton, Oakland, Oblong, Paris, Robinson, Salem, St. Anthony, St. Elmo, St.. Theresa, Sullivan, Taylorville and Teutopolis, the press release said.

Scholastic bowl set for this weekend