SACIS prepares runners, walkers to take back the day

Alex Seider, Staff Reporter

Runners, walkers and residents of Charleston are getting ready for the second annual “Take Back the Day” 5k sponsored by the Sexual Assault Counseling and Information Service.

The event will begin with registration at 7 a.m. in Sister City Park, Saturday.

The purpose of the race is similar to the “Take Back the Night” march in the spring because they both are about supporting the prevention of sexual assault. The 5k is open to everyone who is interested.

Donna Hudson, the adult counselor for SACIS, said the purpose of both events is to raise awareness that everyone should be free to walk through their community without fear of sexual violence.

She said while the events are supporting a serious theme, the intention is to provide a fun and healthy activity for everyone.

“Last year’s 5k was a big success and a lot of fun for all who participated and we’re excited to be doing it again,” Hudson said.

Hudson said the money raised by the event goes to support SACIS programs and services; she said these programs include counseling and advocacy for survivors of sexual assault and prevention education.

“This event is for anyone who enjoys a beautiful day and who is a walker or runner,” Hudson said.

Hudson said the 5k is a 3.1-mile route that begins at Sister City Park in Charleston and winds through residential neighborhoods near campus.

Jana Roberts, the volunteer coordinator for SACIS, said the volunteers will guide walkers in the right direction and pass out snacks toward the end.

Roberts said the event is different from “Take Back the Night” because it is not a march but a 5k.

“This is for people who love beautiful weather and who want to come out to support a good cause,” Roberts said. “Our volunteers guide walkers and runners because it goes through neighborhoods and so we make sure they don’t get lost.”

Julie Dietz, a health studies professor, said she worked the event last year.

“I thought it was a lovely event, and it was neat to see so many people from the community and Eastern work together to support a good cause,” Dietz said.

Dietz said she brought her dog, Jaeger, intentionally because it is a victim of attack, which she thought was a good connection.

Anyone who registers before Saturday online will pay $20 and on Saturday it is $25.

Alex Seidler can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]