Charleston resident, former pressman dies

Stephanie Markham, News Editor

Johnny Bough, who was the pressman for The Daily Eastern News for about 25 years until he retired in 2004, died Wednesday at St. John’s Hospital in Springfield. He was 73.

As pressman, Bough maintained the press and managed a staff of students who assisted in printing The News each night of publication.

Betsy Jewell, the business manager of student publications, said she worked with Bough for about 10 years and remembers him being very patient with students.

“He never got too ruffled if deadlines were missed or pages were messed up,” she said.

Jewell said Bough worked hard, never complained and rarely took a sick day.

Other characteristics she recalls include Bough always having a grin on his face and believing men should be chivalrous.

“He made terrible jokes that everybody thought were funny, and he was always trying to sing off-key country and western songs,” Jewell said.

Jewell said Bough worked at Ashmore Estates when it was still operating as a mental hospital and would always tell stories of his job there.

Bough then began working as a pressman for the local Charleston newspaper and would cover when the pressman for The News was ill; he eventually took over the position in the early ‘80s, Jewell said.

“He genuinely cared about students,” Jewell said. “He always said they kept him young.”

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Adams Funeral Chapel, 2330 Shawnee Drive.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Monday at First Baptist Church, 2800 University Drive.

Stephanie Markham can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]