Advice with a Slice meeting provides an informal opportunity for students to ask about their futures.

Sierra Cameron, Reporter

Career Services advisors hosted an informal advisory session called Advice with a Slice. The event took place at the Human Services Center in office 1303 Wednesday from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

The event was held for students who are seeking guidance in their future career endeavors and focused on students’ specific concerns relating to their future success.

Organizers Diana Taylor, master career councilor and John Marr, employer relations specialist and career advisor, provided Domino’s pizza and beverages while answering students’ questions and providing advice.

Taylor gave her insight into why the informal event was able to help students seek advice rather than a more formal setting.

“I think that informal situations like this work because [students] get what they want out of it, not what we think they need,” Taylor said.

Marr continued to answer questions and concerns that the students provided him.

“It is better to be nervous now, rather than later,” Marr said. “It is easier to talk about what you need to with us now so you can apply that knowledge in the future.”

The students who attended added their own opinions on how the informal setting made them feel while they were asking about their future professional careers.

Rylee Lorton, a senior public relations major , mentioned how an informal setting was less intimidating to students and allowed more flexibility when it comes to asking the questions.

Other students also elaborated on this idea by mentioning that the flexibility of being able to attend the meeting at whatever time is convenient for them made this meeting more approachable than a one-on-one.

The organizers held this meeting to help make it feel less intimidating for EIU students.

“We hold things like this all the time,” Marr said. “Some are more formal than others, but we try to help students get experience in all aspects of the future.”

Such events include the Dining, Networking and Professionalism event that will be held on March 28 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Brick House Restaurant in Charleston.  The dinner will be held to help students learn professional etiquette with employers during a professional dinner and how to practice proper workplace professionalism.

Other events held by Career Services can be found on the Handshake app or the counselors can be found in the Human Services building in room 1301 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Sierra Cameron can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].