Tarble Arts Center presents new exhibits

Jake Wilson

Tarble Arts Center presented artwork from regional K-12 schools as part of their annual “Art from Here” show.

Jenna Strauss, Reporter

Students gathered to hear Francis Morales play the French horn to further enhance the Falling Into Milk installation in the commonspace.

From 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. , a free recital performance took place in the Tarble Arts Center Friday. The selected pieces were chosen after Morales collaborated with Marie Bannerot McInerney, creator behind Falling Into Milk.

After many discussions, Morales was able to select the proper compositions that align with McInerney’s vision.

Morales performed the following pieces: Scarlet Waltz by James Naigus, Morceau De Concert by Camille Saint-Saens, and Movement 1 (Alegria) Movement 7 (Shenandoah) by Paul Basler.

The Falling Into Milk exhibit by McInerney showcases opaque painted windows with gold leaf which casts shadows onto the inside floor.

McInerney has returned to the site-specific piece numerous times over the course of nine months to add changes to the installation, causing it to evolve consistently.

According to Tarble Arts staff member, Ely Yates, “This exhibit resonates with me. I think it gives a sense of stillness which I think every college student needs.” The Falling Into Milk exhibit can be viewed through May 6.

The Tarble Arts Center features two other exhibits showcasing a vast variety of artwork styles and mediums.

The Artist-in-Residence: Studio Land Arts exhibit by Chris Carl engulfs the Working Studio and will be on display through March 11. The work features materials such as dirt, wood and architectural design.

The materials are all within a singular room, placed strategically so visitors can walk through admiring each element either on the floor or hung on the walls. This exhibit allows you to fully immerse yourself into Carl’s inspiration.

The 2023 Art from Here is an annual art exhibit which features regional students from kindergarten through 12 grade. The Main Gallery’s walls are covered with plenty of artworks created with mediums such as, oil paint, colored pencils, and even scratchboard.

Tarble Arts Center presented artwork from regional K-12 schools as part of their annual “Art from Here” show. (Jake Wilson)

As visitors walk through, they pass mounds topped with ceramics and plaster sculptures all created by the local youth. In total, this exhibit consists of 134 artworks which will be displayed through March 11.

Although having their works of art displayed at a gallery is exciting, what makes this opportunity so special for the young artists is that they can meet equally talented artists.

”All the students from different schools got to meet each other,” Yates said.

She claimed that even though the art teachers didn’t communicate with each other, the submitted works have complimentary themes.

“Everything just worked. It looks so cool,” Yates said.

The Tarble Art Center chooses a new artist to showcase for the Artist-in-Residence every year.

The Tarble Arts Center continues to offer the EIU community a chance to appreciate the arts. The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and are open 1 p.m.  to 5 p.m. on Saturday with last entries at 4 p.m.

Jenna Strauss can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]