Gamers’ Guild: where you’ll never get ‘board’

Dungeon+Master+Peter+Grichnik%2C+a+senior+chemistry+major%2C+runs+a+game+of+Generic+Universal+RolePlaying+System+%28GURPS%29%2C+with+fellow+students+in+the+Gamers+Guild+registered+student+organization+in+the+Bridge+Lounge+in+the+Martin+Luther+King+Jr.+University+Union+Sunday+afternoon.+

Dungeon Master Peter Grichnik, a senior chemistry major, runs a game of Generic Universal RolePlaying System (GURPS), with fellow students in the Gamers’ Guild registered student organization in the Bridge Lounge in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Sunday afternoon.

Luke Taylor, Senior Reporter

To an outsider, the group gathered in the Bridge Lounge in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union each Sunday evening may be having some pretty mysterious conversations.

“You can’t assassinate me, I’m ‘Contessa,’” someone claims before being forced to show their cards.

At another table, covered in colored tokens, a heist is being planned.

“The alarm on this door will go off if it opens… Somehow I forgot you can teleport.”

At yet another, there’s a debate going on involving places like “Ravnica” or “Theros.”

And off in the corner? Mario Kart.

Even with all of these very different activities going on, newcomers are welcomed with open arms and taught how to participate no matter how complicated the game.

These gathered students are all part of the Gamers’ Guild, Eastern’s registered student organization for enjoyers of everything from video games to tabletop roleplay or card games, TTRPG.

The group has been around for some time but current President Bryan Lasso, a senior computer and information technology major, is making an effort to bring in new membership.

“I wanted to open it up so that people felt like they had a place to come and hang out if they were interested in games of any type,” Lasso said. “I think my role in the Guild is to bring EIU Gamers into one space so they can find people with common interests.”

“Common interests” becomes a pretty broad category in the gaming space.

In just a few hours of one meeting, members played “Super Smash Bros.,” “Coup,” “Magic: The Gathering,” “Exploding Kittens,” “Betrayal at the House on the Hill,” “Oblivion,” chess and “Generic Universal RolePlaying System,”, GURPS.

Generic Universal RolePlaying System (GURPS) is a tabletop board game famous for its variety and adaptability to different genres. (Rob Le Cates)

Braden Bigard, a junior history education major, has participated in many of those games during his time in the club. He joined because of his love of board games but was initially nervous after transferring and not knowing anyone at Eastern.

“Everyone in Gamer’s Guild was so welcoming and such a good vibe it made me feel like I belonged here and made meeting new people a lot easier for me,” Bigard said.

Lasso says it isn’t hard managing all the different categories and kinds of games that people are interested in.

“If people want to play a specific board game they can ask around our Discord [server] and to find people to play that game with,” Lasso said. “Some members bring video game consoles, Wiis and Nintendo Switches for example, and ask around who wants to play.”

One category, tabletop roleplaying games, only became a true part of the Guild in the last year or so. Credit for the addition, at least in part, goes to Peter Grichnik, a senior chemistry major.

Grichnik joined the club when he transferred to Eastern in 2021, then began encouraging TTRPG play sometime the following year.

“Beyond being a good way to have fun, TTRPGs can help connect students that wouldn’t normally interact, as well as help develop critical problem-solving teamwork, and interpersonal skills,” Grichnik said. “I view a well-executed TTRPG campaign as a safe place for individuals to explore aspects of themselves they may not have thought about before.”

While the TTRPG community has been active for decades, the hobby grew in popularity as people used it to connect during the pandemic. Most games can be played via video call, maybe with the help of various virtual tabletop options.

Grichnik is running a game in the Guild using the General Universal RolePlaying System, which is famous for its massive range of character options and adaptability to different genres. In this particular game, the players are superheroes with powers ranging from teleportation to being made out of rocks.

Anthony Conner, a senior accounting major, strategizes with a fellow player during their game of Generic Universal RolePlaying System (GURPS), with fellow students in the Gamers’ Guild registered student organization in the Bridge Lounge in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Sunday afternoon. (Rob Le Cates)

While the game hasn’t been going very long, Grichnik says an early highlight is one player’s character who has a superpower allowing her manipulate particles in objects she can hold.

“She used this ability to incapacitate (if not outright kill) at least a quarter of the enemies on the field using nothing but a fork. Seriously badass,” Grichnik said.

Whether students are interested in more complex games like GURPs, need competition in “Magic: The Gathering” or just want to try out new board games, Lasso encourages them to join.

“If you’re looking for a place to nerd out and be yourself this is the place,” Lasso said. “Bring friends and make new ones as you relax after a long week on campus. We love getting new people on the server so if you have any interest in games come say hi in person or online.”

For some members, online channels are the main way they can participate in the club.

Sarah Kennedy, a junior nutrition and dietetics major, says that the group has been welcoming despite scheduling conflicts preventing her from attending Sunday meetings.

“There are some of the absolute sweetest people ever in the Guild, and they are always so warm to everyone,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy typically plays “Minecraft” when online with the Guild, but has also been returning to “Magic: The Gathering” after some time away from the game.

“I recently got back into ‘Magic: the Gathering’ and have even done some trades with some of the guys; well, it was really more like gifts,” Kennedy said. “Everybody kinda helps everybody out.”

The link to join the Gamers’ Guild Discord is on their RSO profile on Eastern’s website.

Additionally, anyone can join in on the Guild’s “Super Smash Bros” tournament scheduled for Feb. 23 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in 7th St. Underground. There will be a $5 entry fee and the club’s collection of board games will also be available to play.

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]