COLUMN: Jobs, insightful with a few flaws

Cam’ron Hardy is a sophomore journalism major and can be reached at 217-581-2812.

Cam'ron Hardy, Columnist

“The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do” – Steve Jobs

With the recent Apple event that took place on September 7, which introduced new Apple products, including a new line of the iPhone 14, it felt appropriate to cover a movie on one of the most influential people of all time.

The 2013 Steve Jobs biopic stars Ashton Kutcher going through the trials and tribulations of Jobs’ empire, Apple. Ashton Kutcher looks identical to Jobs in this film.

At the beginning of the film, when Jobs presents the iPod, it looked like the real Steve Jobs was presenting. The costume might have been the selling point of the look, including Jobs’, known to wear, black turtleneck, which was created by Jobs’ friend and Japanese designer Issey Miyake, who recently passed, and Jobs’ New Balances.

The other cast members also looked identical to the role they were given, including Nelson Franklin, who played Bill Atkinson. J. K. Simmons was also in this film, although it was not a starring role, he was on screen a sufficient amount of time to appreciate his presence.

In general, the acting was not the best, but there were times where it was impressive. Specifically, the scene where Steve Wozniak, played by Josh Gad, told Jobs he was quitting.

Gad started to cry and could evoke emotion in some audience members. Kutcher did a great job portraying the “asshole” persona that Jobs was known to have.

The dialogue also plays a major role on adding upon that persona. Jobs passion for the company is overran by his aggression, which was amazing to see at times. When one of his employees did not share the same enthusiasm for a project, Jobs blatantly fired him on the spot, which was great to see.

Seeing him portray this rudeness upon his close friends/start-up partners was not as great to see.

On the contrary, during his emotional scenes, his performance was not that great. During the scene where Jobs found out he was having a child, it felt a little awkward.

The story pertaining to his love life and his children were only shown for what felt like glimpses of the film. Understanding the film mainly focused on the business side of Apple, that part of his life could have been portrayed better, with more context.

The audience is thrown into an argument between Jobs and Chris, played by Ahna O’Reilly, with no prior context, but Jobs is in denial that the child is his. Every scene where his partner or children are involved were so small that it felt insignificant to the overall purpose of the film.

The cinematography was great in this film. Early in the film, the audience sees a lot of harsh yellow tint scenes. It fits the time period because it took place during the hippie era and fits the aesthetic.

The array of colors also tied into this aesthetic. The wide shots also contributed to the great cinematography. There are nature shots and certain scenes which used rule-of-thirds that look amazing.

Some scenes looked very white and cleaner later in the movie, which mirrors how Apple stores currently look.

The pacing and lack of context is the biggest downfall in this film. Early in the film, we see Jobs sleeping on random couches on campus, yet he lands a job at the famous gaming company, Atari. More information would have been great as to how he got there.

More scenes as to how they got bigger would have great too. When Jobs and his co-workers attend the tech fair, people are huddled around the Apple booth, but the audience is only aware of the deals that they make, but not the impact that they make.

We are left with the famous and inspiring quote by Jobs, which is stated at the beginning of this review, which felt special.

Overall, this film is great. It gives viewers an insight on the life of Jobs and what he accomplished while he was still alive. Rate: 4/5.

Cam’ron Hardy is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.