COLUMN: Meet Kate, our 2022-23 assistant sports editor

Kate Stevens, Assistant Sports Editor

Hello everyone! My name is Kate Stevens, and I am the assistant sports editor for the Daily Eastern News this year. I am currently a senior studying Sports Media Relations and Marketing. I am excited to be able to bring EIU sports news to you all.  

I grew up in Freeport, Ill., where I played a number of sports throughout the years, such as volleyball, soccer, basketball, track, and golf. I thoroughly enjoy watching sports of all levels as well. I am a big fan of Chicago sports, but my absolute favorite team to watch is the Chicago Bears.

I love everything about football and the Bears. With that being said, you will most likely find me dressed up in Bears attire from head to toe cheering on my Bears every Sunday. In general, I live for sports, and I am so excited to be able to cover the sports here at EIU. I am looking forward to a great year of sports. 

I think it is very important for sports to be covered because I truly believe that sports are one of the biggest things that bring people together. I love to see how sports brings EIU students, faculty, and the community as whole together. There are so many great things that go on here in EIU sports that the students, faculty, and community should know more about. The DEN sports team looks forward to bringing it all to you. 

I am excited to help bring the coverage of EIU sports this year, and to help our social media grow as well. Social media is very important in this day and age, as it helps to get out information quickly. Make sure to tune into @DEN_Sports on Twitter as the sports team here at the DEN will be putting out game times, scores, and more.