Zipline, rock wall cancelled amidst Welcome Weekend

Ashanti Thomas

During a friendly competition, two friends get ready to duel against each other during last year’s Quakin’ the Quad

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

Eastern’s University Board cancelled Quakin’ the Quad on Saturday afternoon due to oncoming thunderstorms and rain in the evening.

During Eastern’s Welcome Weekend, Saturday night the event Quakin’ the Quad takes place and typically includes food and drinks, giveaways and a variety of activities. This year’s Quakin’ the Quad was set to include a mobile zipline, rock wall, inflatables and games.

Despite the weather, the BINGO games planned to take place during the event will still be happening from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Grand and University Ballrooms in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The Safari Bingo is co-sponsered by Eastern’s fraternity and sorority life.

University President David Glassman and Vice President of Student Affairs Anne Flaherty will be at the event tonight.

Sunday is the last day of Welcome Weekend and the day’s plans include Find Your Fit from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

This event includes five separate groups and meeting locations to help new students find their fit on-campus.

Then the Convocation is from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Lantz Arena followed by the First Night Spirit Rally at 8 p.m. at the O’Brien Stadium. The rally includes live performances, giveaways, contests and prizes.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].