Eastern ‘encouraging’ COVID-19 testing after Spring Break

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

Eastern “strongly encourages” students and faculty to take a COVID-19 SHIELD test when classes return to session after Spring Break. 

In an email sent out earlier today, Eastern requests everyone to take an on-campus SHIELD test once they return to campus. Eastern sent out a similar email before everyone returned to campus for the spring semester as well. The retesting test days are set for March 21 to March 24. 

Unvaccinated students, faculty or staff are required to take a SHIELD test upon returning from break.

Eastern states the encouraged retesting for fully vaccinated students, faculty or staff includes “anyone learning, living, working or participating in any on-campus activities.”

Eastern requests both those required to be tested and those encouraged to get retested as early as possible.

Eastern also recommends setting up an appointment prior to make the SHIELD testing process run smoother and faster. Appointments can be made on the SHIELD testing portal.

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 90 days with a PCR test, you are not required to take a re-entry test.

If you have tested COVID-19 positive but not submitted a positive PCR test yet, you can submit the PCR test to Georgia Ryan for students at [email protected] and Linda Holloway for employees at [email protected].

For those remaining on-campus during Spring Break and are required to test weekly, the Spring Break SHIELD schedule is for March 15 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and March 16 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Per Eastern’s current masking requirements, everyone is required to wear a mask at the on-campus SHIELD testing location in the Student Recreation Center.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].