‘Little Women: the Broadway Musical’ at Doudna this weekend

Katja Benz, Campus Reporter

Eastern’s production of “Little Women: the Broadway Musical” premieres Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. in the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The show is taking place in the Doudna Fine Arts Center Theater. Tickets are available for purchase at the Doudna Box office or online. Tickets are $10 for students, $15 for seniors and faculty and $20 for the general public.

The shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday start at 7:30 p.m., and the Sunday performance starts at 2:30 p.m.

Larry Cox, a musical theater professor at Eastern and director of the musical, said choosing this play was intentional.

“We have a committee who chooses our four mainstage shows for the year, and as a committee we felt this musical was a good choice as it complimented the entire season and women’s history month,” Cox said.

Louisa May Alcott, the author of Little Women, based the book on her life. She was also a feminist, which Cox said is important as it compliments the month that the play is performed in.

“Louisa May Alcott was a pioneer of her time,” Cox said. “Not only did she serve her country as a nurse during the Civil War, she also took great strides in giving women a voice in a male-dominate career world by becoming a not only published but excellent writer of her time. ‘Little Women’ being one of her greatest works, is still a timeless classic to this day.”

During this month, Cox thinks that showing this musical keeps Alcott’s passion for women’s history alive.

“The most important thing is that we are keeping the history of Louisa May Alcott and her strong forward movement for women alive,” Cox said. “As audience members see the production, they have a chance to see the brilliance that Alcott brought to literature during Civil War times. The musical is full of themes that we can still connect to today. One of the bigger themes is the lead character, Jo, a mirror of Alcott, fights tooth and nail to be seen and eventually accepted and iconic in the publishing world.”

Katja Benz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].