How to move out ahead of winter break

Moving+out+procedures+for+residence+halls+and+greek+court+for+the+end+of+the+Fall+semester.+

Ashanti Thomas

Moving out procedures for residence halls and greek court for the end of the Fall semester.

Katja Benz, Campus Reporter

Winter break is quickly approaching, and with that comes the time to sign out from the university, taking the steps required prior to the semester ending.

To check out this semester, students living in the residence halls will get a sign-out sheet to put on their door, just like they did for Thanksgiving break. The sign-out sheet includes information regarding what students need to do prior to checking out.

There is a $90 fee for staying on campus over break.

Matt Boyer, assistant director of residential life and conference services, says that on Friday, Dec. 17, the only dining center open will be the Thomas Dining Center, where dinner will be the last meal served prior to closing at 6 p.m. The Thomas dining center will open Saturday, Jan. 8 for lunch, with all others following on Monday, Jan. 10 with a regular operation.

Mark Hudson, executive director of university housing and dining services, says that he hopes students make sure to follow the directions on their check-out sheet, especially by locking windows and unplugging everything.

“We always want students to make sure their windows are closed and locked before they leave, as well as unplugging everything except for refrigerators and aquariums,” Hudson said.

Hudson also said that if students need to stay for any part of the break to use the online form provided to them to make their request by Wednesday, Dec. 15.

Boyer reminds students to talk to their resident adviser or associate resident director if they are not staying in their present room next semester.

“Students that are not returning to EIU for the spring semester will need to schedule a check out time with their Resident Assistant or Associate Resident Director by December 15,” said Boyer.

Boyer also said that mail for students living in Greek Court and the residence halls will be held at the Post Office starting Saturday, Dec. 18 and that students will receive regular mail service again starting Friday, Jan. 7.

Students can start moving back into the dorms on Friday, Jan. 7 at 9 a.m.

Katja Benz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].