BOT to vote on contract for Glassman

Eastern Illinois University President Davis Glassman speaks during the Sept. 10, 2021 Board of Trustees meeting held at the Grand Ballroom at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. He announced his intention to reconvene the Naming Comittee during the meeting on Sept. 10.

Madelyn Kidd, Managing Editor

The Board of Trustees is set to vote on a one-year contract for University President David Glassman in its meeting Friday. 

If approved, the contract will begin on June 1, 2022 and end June 30, 2023. 

No changes to compensation or benefits are being contemplated by the board. 

Currently, Glassman receives a $325,412 salary and health insurance, life insurance and workers’ compensation benefits. 

The Board will vote on four purchase contracts over $250,000.

One of the purchase approvals includes the trash collection and disposal services two-year contract that won’t exceed $1,359,620.

The contract includes the cost of all the equipment, labor and materials needed within two years.

The media production and newsroom management system contract for WEIU include purchases for new production equipment, which can’t exceed $695,658.78.

The media production and newsroom management system contract is for three years, but is able to have two renewable three-year extensions to the contract voted on by the Board.

The bond advisory services purchase contract is for a contract with Blue Rose Capital Advisors, LLC.

The Blue Rose Capital Advisors, LLC would provide advisory services to Eastern. These services include assistance with issuance of bonds to finance anticipated projects and refinance pre-existing bonds.

The contract will not exceed $300,000 in expenses.

If approved, the contract will begin Nov. 15, 2021 and end June 30, 2026.

The Booth Library steps contract approval is for up to $261,800 to reconstruct the north steps.

The north steps of Booth Library are damaged due to age and weather exposure and are causing further damages to the internal structure of the electrical vault beneath the stairs and is allowing water to enter the building.

The Board will vote on changes to Board Regulation II.7.e. If approved, the university will close facilities on Juneteenth when it falls on a weekday.

The Board will vote on giving an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters to Eastern 1972 graduate Carl Mito for his support of Eastern including scholarships and volunteering to a variety of capacities at Eastern.

The Honorary Degree Committee unanimously recommended to Glassman that Eastern give the Honorary Degree to Carl Mito.

This recommendation has the full support of Glassman and the President’s Council.

Glassman is going to discuss the Doug DiBianco Gender-Inclusive Community and the EIU Campus Food Pantry during the President’s Report.

In the earned degrees report, there were 1,875 degrees awarded in the fall 2021 semester.

In total, 1,067 of those degrees were bachelor’s degrees, 103 post-bachelor’s certificates, 675 master’s degrees and 30 specialist degrees.

The top five majors of the bachelor’s degree recipients are psychology, general studies, exercise science, elementary education and biological sciences.

The top five majors of the awarded master’s degree are educational leadership, technology, curriculum/instruction, business administration and art.

The Board will hear a report from Faculty Senate Chair Todd Bruns.

The Board of Trustees will meet in the Grand Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union and the reports will begin at 1 p.m.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].