COLUMN: Show tunes you can sing in the shower

Ellen+Dooley

Ellen Dooley

Ellen Dooley, Columnist

No one can resist singing a good show tune from their favorite musical. Whether it be a repetitive sound on TikTok or from a classic show; yes, I do have to admit that I was a theater kid in high school. I was not on stage, but I stage managed and ran stage crew. I came from a small school, so we had a smaller crew, which often called for doubled positions. Instead of quick changes, I was diving for thrown props and pulling curtains like no other. 

Even though I was backstage, I have heard my good deal of show tunes. My two and a half hour long Spotify playlist can attest to this. There are a few that are just so sing-able. Here are a few of my absolute favorites. Keep in mind, there are plenty more out there! 

My first one comes from “Pippin,” the 1972 original Broadway cast version, with the song “Simple Joys.” It has a funky groove to it that just wants to make you groove to it. There are so many memorable lyrics that have a good message behind it. I have many favorites from “Pippin,” but this has to be my favorite. “Magic to Do” is a close second though. 

My next one comes from Andrew Lloyd Webber. It is “Any Dream Will Do/Give Me My Colored Coat” from “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.” This musical is sometimes underrated, but it is easily one of my favorites. The beginning is soft and soothing, but then it explodes in sound. The song really ties the show together in one song. “Close Every Door” is another good one off this sound track.  

This next musical is a little newer. A favorite from Hadestown is “Livin’ it Up on Top.” You really cannot go wrong with any song off this sound track. If you love mythology, this is the musical for you. This song has good rhythm underneath and is perfect for belting out loud. The instrumental break is perfect for busting out a move.  

Another great song is “Raise You Up/Just Be” from “Kinky Boots.” If you ever need a hype song, this is what you need to go to. It is all about being who you are and supporting the people around you. There is such a good message behind the song, plus a great beat that is easy to sing along to! 

Who could ever forget about “SIX the Musical?” There are multiple songs that promote female empowerment. One of my favorites is “Don’t Lose Ur Head.” It is so catchy and will make beheading sound way better than it actually is. The historical background is also fun to learn and relate the songs to.  

There is bound to be a musical out there for you to enjoy. It may just need a little bit of searching for your favorite one. Have fun finding new music and singing your heart out!

Ellen Dooley is a freshman special education major. She can be contacted at 581-2812 or [email protected].