Homecoming court candidates debunk campaign rumors

Corryn Brock, Editor-in-Chief

A now-debunked social media post claiming those who vote for two homecoming candidates would receive discounted marijuana is not accurate, according to the candidates and Director of Student Life Ceci Brinker.

Brinker said Eastern’s Homecoming Steering Committee was made aware of the social media post on Monday night and spoke to the candidates regarding the post. She said the two candidates, Anthony Lewis and Jacqueline Williams, were “very apologetic.”

Lewis, who is representing Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and running for Homecoming King, said the post was meant to be a private joke and should not be taken seriously.

“I understand and honor the EIU Steering Committee’s guidelines and will cooperate to resolve any misinterpretations posted on social media. This is not a representation of me. I disassociate myself from all inappropriate behavior. Also the joke was from a friend posted in a private setting with my friends not for the public to see. It was never shared to the public eye,” Lewis said. “Furthermore, it was a inappropriate comment that should of never been said, this was a careless comment made.”

Williams, who is representing Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc and running for Homecoming Queen and the Student Government as Student Body President, echoed Lewis’ response. She added she did not know of the post until she heard from the Steering Committee.

“I understand the EIU Steering Committee Guidelines and want to clear up any misunderstandings. I did not have any knowledge of the post until it was brought to me by Ashley Richardson this morning. I had nothing to do with the post or the comments that were made,” Williams said. “As stated by Anthony Lewis, this was a careless joke that was made in the privacy with another confidant, which should have not been said to begin with. I would like to apologize for the distasteful comment and would like to reassure you that I am an upstanding representative of Eastern Illinois’ campus.”

The post was posted to a private story on Snapchat but was somehow shared with multiple people who were not on the story.

Both students are still in the running for the 2021 Homecoming Court and will not be disqualified due to the nature of the situation.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].