Domercant named head coach of Windy City Bulls

Former Eastern player Henry Domercant poses with his family on the court in Lantz Arena during his number retirement ceremony on Feb. 16, 2013.

File Photo | The Daily Eastern News

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

Former Eastern star Henry Domercant was named the head coach of the Windy City Bulls, the G League affiliate of the Chicago Bulls, earlier this week.

Domercant had been an assistant with the Windy City Bulls starting in 2018 until last season, when served as the Player Development Coordinator with the Chicago Bulls. 

He also served as an assistant coach with the Maine Red Claws, the Boston Celtics’ G League affiliate in the 2017-18 season.

A story from NBA.com quoted Bulls Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Arturas Karnisovas, who said that he thinks Domercant is an ideal fit for the job. 

“Internal growth within our organization is important to us. It is clear that Henry has been preparing for this opportunity for a long time and has proven that his passion for the game, commitment to player relationships and development, and basketball IQ make him the ideal candidate to lead our G League program. And being a hometown guy makes it extra special,” he said. 

Domercant also was quoted in the story, expressing his excitement to take on a new role in the organization. 

“As a lifelong Chicagoland guy, the Chicago Bulls franchise has always been special to me and I’m grateful to the organization for the opportunity to lead the Windy City Bulls,” he said. 

Domercant came to Eastern in 1999, and by the time he left in 2003, he had become one of the best players in Eastern and OVC history. 

His 2,602 points are the most in conference history and the most of any Eastern player by a margin of 676 points. 

After averaging 9.3 points per game as a freshman, Domercant scored 22.8, 26.4 and 27.9 points per game over the next three seasons, finishing second in the nation in scoring as a junior and senior. 

He was just the 11th player in Division I history to rank in the top five in the nation in scoring three or more times. 

He was named OVC Player of the Year in 2002 and was named first team All-OVC in each of his last three seasons.

After Eastern, Domercant played overseas in Turkey, Greece, Italy and Russia from 2003 to 2015, winning multiple titles in various leagues. 

He then returned to the U.S. to play a season with the Idaho Stampede of the NBA Development League, now the G League. 

He signed with a team in Romania in 2017, but left the team before appearing in a game.

Domercant was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 2009 and had his number 44 retired by Eastern in 2013.  

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].