Men’s soccer team suffers 5-1 loss against NIU

Eastern+midfielder+Nikola+Salopek+gets+into+position+defensively+agaisnt+Northern+Illinois+Sept.+7+at+Lakeside+Field.+Eastern+lost+the+match+5-1.+

Adam Tumino | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern midfielder Nikola Salopek gets into position defensively agaisnt Northern Illinois Sept. 7 at Lakeside Field. Eastern lost the match 5-1.

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s soccer team scored its first goal of the season Tuesday afternoon against Northern Illinois, but fell 5-1 to the Huskies. 

The Panthers are now 0-3 on the young season, having previously lost to Xavier and Purdue Fort Wayne. 

Northern improved to 3-1 with the win.

The Huskies jumped ahead early, scoring in just the 2nd minute when senior defender Anthony Markanich, on an assist from senior midfielder Adrian Corona, got one by Eastern goalkeeper Chad Smith. 

Two more early goals put the Huskies up 3-0 within 12 minutes of the opening kickoff.

In the 10th minute, senior defender Nick Markanich joined his brother in the scoring column, netting a goal on an assist from redshirt junior forward Enrique Banuelos.

Just over a minute later, redshirt senior midfielder Pepe Martinez got another ball behind Smith on another assist from Corona. 

The Huskies were held scoreless by the Eastern defense until the 35th minute, when Nick Markanich scored again. This time he was assisted by Martinez. 

But this time Eastern responded. Freshman forward Prince Okonny scored his first career goal in the 38th minute. It was the Panthers’ first goal of the season after back-to-back 1-0 losses and a scoreless first half in a match against Milwaukee that was canceled at halftime due to severe weather in the area. 

The score remained 4-1 into halftime and for much of the second half before Northern netted an insurance goal. 

In the 85th minute, sophomore midfielders Diego Maynez and Camilo Estrada teamed up with Maynez passing the ball to Estrada, who shot it low passed Smith, putting the Huskies up by the eventual final score of 5-1. 

In the match, Eastern recorded four shots to the Huskies’ 14. One of Eastern’s shots was on goal while the Huskies had nine. 

Smith made four saves in the match, while Northern goalkeepers Martin Sanchez and Parker Smith were not required to make a save. 

After three scheduled home matches in a row, Eastern will now be on the road for its next two matches. 

The Panthers travel to play Bellarmine on Sept. 12 and Missouri State Sept. 15. 

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]